Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got an interesting email a few days ago.
The folks I bought our Rangey from want it back, after @4-5 yrs!
The husband misses it dearly according to his wife, and she is after buying it him form Christmas (must be nice).
I named my price ($10k), and she asked how to pay. I honestly didnt think she would have it for that, but she did.
The rig has been gone through, down to the motor I built for it. It needs a new torque converter as it is robbing some power I feel. But it runs 110% now the becm is back, and uses no oil etc. Everything has been gone through over the years too.
At the end of the day, it is a '98 with over 200k miles showing on it though:-?
So, decision time....We are going to have another p38, as we feel the Mk3's are nice, but our budget would be stretched if we got one and the used parts are near non existent for them. So running and ownership costs would be a lot higher than with a P38 I feel.
Browsed a few, and I can either get a cheaper one for @$4k that needs a little work but looks very clean, or spend a little more for a genuine rig that needs next to nothing. Scotty has a lead on a Vittesse that looks beautiful, but would need picking up in Ca!
A Callaway caught my interest but the guy wanted $12K for it! Nice rig, but he needs to remember it is a '99 after all.
Anyone know of any nice rigs up for grabs? If paying good money, it would need to have both remotes, handbook, EAS, all stock, and so on. I can drop an engine into one easy enough, but the price would have to be attractive to do so. The wife has a good point when she says that I have put the time and effort into our current rig, and may have to start over:oops:
How do the Bosch motors feel vs the Gems motors? Anyone had or driven both?
Any limited editions I should be on the lookout for? The Holland and Holland editions look rather nice too, but no engine mods like the Callaways as far as I know.
Thoughts???

Martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Drove both in 4.6 versions as my mate has one. Bosch drives better IMHO, it feels more like a bimmer. Acceleration is very progressive with no lag time. It has much torque too. But i didn't drive one of your rebuilt GEMS engines buddy ;)

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Flo!
Called about a 99 Callaway at a dealership, so we shall see what they say....

Martin

·
Registered
544 Posts
My late 2000 is up for grabs, ALL works, even the seat heaters! Full History And all paperwork, OH only one problem, steering wheel is on the correct side :)

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My late 2000 is up for grabs, ALL works, even the seat heaters! Full History And all paperwork, OH only one problem, steering wheel is on the correct side :)
`):tongue:`)

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the Callaway has only 1 remote, and has been castrated (by the dealer no less!)
I can obviously convert back to EAS, which I would without hesitation, but the price needs to reflect it.
I am also asking what the Carfax says etc....
The mind boggles....

martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a laugh for you all...
Talking to the dealer about the Callaway, and said it would be converted back to EAS. Guess they missunderstood, then sent me this....:lol:

EAS Conversion:1. $1,000 per spring x 4
2. $1,200 for the Air pump
3. $1,200 for Computer driver
4. $250 x 4 for EAS sensors on each wheel

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont think the missus will go with white, she actually doesnt want to sell ours!
I think Soctty has a line on a good 4.6 Vittesse too, so there are some irons in the fire so to speak.
Is there a very noticeable difference between the Callaways and the regular 4.6's performance wise?

Martin

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
459 Posts
I dont think the missus will go with white, she actually doesnt want to sell ours!
I think Soctty has a line on a good 4.6 Vittesse too, so there are some irons in the fire so to speak.
Is there a very noticeable difference between the Callaways and the regular 4.6's performance wise?

Martin
I feel like there's a pretty noticeable difference between the Callaways and the 4.6s (no doubt some of it coming from how aggressive the Callaway sounds). Much peppier and better passing power, and of course sounds great - love that deep growl. Driving the Callaway then jumping back into my '95 RRC convinced me that I needed to do the 4.6 engine swap in it.

Don't know if this is still for sale, but saw it in person and it looks great and is built up really well:
http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?20147-1998-range-rover-for-sale-12-500.00-best-offer

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is a nice rig, but we have a wheeling rig already on 37's etc.

·
Registered
898 Posts
wow...$10k for 200k miles, but it is mechanically excellent.

I have seen a few decent P38s out my way (Sacramento,Ca/Bay Area,Ca) on Craigslist.org as I have a friend who is in the market for a Rover. JRHartley just bought another P38 for his father, so he has the sickness REALLY bad. Now he has two rigs to keep up. (but we have one to cannabilize if an emergency presents itself).

I saw a Rhino edition and a nice 2001 on craigslist Bay Area over the weekend. When I was looking to buy mine, I saw a Rhino edition in person and I loved the interior. The truck itself needed some work and they were asking way too much money so I didn't buy it, but I will never forget it. If I could get a limited edition, it would be a rhino.

What color are you looking for? There were a few Westminsters in LA the past few months, but they were asking top-dollar.

Can't believe you parted with your truck...

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,131 Posts
EAS Conversion:1. $1,000 per spring x 4
2. $1,200 for the Air pump
3. $1,200 for Computer driver
4. $250 x 4 for EAS sensors on each wheel
:shock: Holy tish!!!! That's just not right.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
408 Posts
Why not see if Keith still has his Rhino? I know it needed work, but I know a rum lad lorry driver in the Show Me state that is handy with a bag of spanners! :thumb:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Distance wasn't an issue.
We will however be keeping our rig.
Looking at some of the examples out there, it's amazing some are even still running!
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Martin

·
Registered
898 Posts
martin- glad to hear you are keeping your rig. too much work into it to give it up!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.