RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a '15 RR Supercharged V8 that I loved. Power, elegance, comfort, safety and even a little agility (ok, maybe not so much agility), but the most fuel efficient vehicle nor the cheapest to maintain as we know. Anyway, last fall I became obsessed with going green (we've been renovating a farmhouse in VT and I think I got caught up in the moment), and ended up replacing the RR with a Tesla Model X.

The Model X is an example of technological wizardry combined with great handling, solid traction in winter conditions and jaw dropping acceleration. What's not to like...well, its not a RR! Other than that, I was really disappointed in the amount of range that the vehicle loses in cold weather. I'd read that I should expect 10% - !5% reduction in range, but I was closer to 20% - 25%. Living in Vermont and traveling down to Boston at least one a week while having to drive over two mountain passes made this "cold weather penalty" grow old pretty quickly (particularly on those really cold mornings when I wanted to crank the heat, but knew that to do so would come at the cost of range. No matter how much pre heating you do of the vehicle, when it's 2 degrees outside for your first 50 miles, you want the heat cranked. Again, don't get me wrong, the Model X is a great car, but I learned over the last 6 months that it wasn't the right vehicle for me given my driving habits and my expectations about long term comfort.

So I decided that today was the day that I was going to trade the Tesla in (recognizing that I was going to lose money on the deal), but the question was, what to get. My wife has a BMW X5 that is fun to drive, so that was an option. We've been an Audi family in the past, so the Q7 was a consideration as well. Well, given the title of this post, you know what the outcome of today's shopping was. Never made it to the Audi dealer and drove right buy the BMW dealer on the way to Land Rover/Jaguar.

2019 RR HSE V6 Supercharged, Rosello Red with Ivory/Ebony interior, Shadow Walnut finish, Driver Assist, Vision Assist, Atlas Exterior, Meridian Surround Sound System and the Smartphone Pack. I'm like a kid a couple of days before Christmas! The only bad thing is that I have to travel to California on business tomorrow and Tuesday so I can't pick it up until Wednesday afternoon.

I wonder if I'll sleep between now and then!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
It the best ride of any SUV! Just wait for snow next year but be sure to get snow tires- you'll leave everyone behind.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,169 Posts
Congrats on the new vehicle! My brother in law has the Model 3 and loves it, but I would have a fair amount of range anxiety.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
We have both and I will take the range rover over our model x any day. The model x is a great car, but the range rover fits my needs better. Congrats!

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
972 Posts
Welcome back!!! The Tesla Model X is pretty cool but the L405 Range Rover is an outstanding all around vehicle. I considered purchasing a Mercedes GLE 43 Coupe before I purchased my L405. The GLE 43 Coupe was cool but I knew it wasn't for me after driving it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

May have to wait until Thursday to pick it up (my schedule not a dealer issue).

Yeah, I’ve ran snows on my last RR (Nokia’s Hakka 8s) and never have any problems. I put the Nokian R3s on the Tesla and they are great tires. Will do the same with the new rig.

I really don’t have anything bad to say about the Model X, just wasn’t a good match with my driving habits.

Although oddly enough, after I drove home from making the deal at Land Rover I went to plug the charger in and the charge port door wouldn’t open. Maybe the car knows that she’s on the block and is getting back at me. Can you say Hal 9000?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome back!!! The Tesla Model X is pretty cool but the L405 Range Rover is an outstanding all around vehicle. I considered purchasing a Mercedes GLE 43 Coupe before I purchased my L405. The GLE 43 Coupe was cool but I knew it wasn't for me after driving it.
Funny I just traded in a 2017 MB GLE 43 (non coupe version) for a 2016 L405 and can't be happier! The MB was a great vehicle but more sport than I needed since I drive a lot in the winter and it is not great in snow. Although it would be better if I put snow tires on it. But I live the RR!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here she is! Kid in a candy store!!!

IMG_3190.jpg IMG_3189.jpg IMG_3191.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
746 Posts
Tesla and L494 owner here. I have both the X and the 3. Owned a '14 and a '19 Sport. With the acceleration delay issues I'm seeing in the '19, I really feel a sense of danger when driving the RRS. However, the RRS feels like it's light years ahead in interior build and quality. To me, the Tesla craftsmanship is like Acura level (maybe even less so). Technology and handling is great. Does not feel luxurious. The Tesla is an appliance and nothing more. The Range Rovers are luxury cars and plenty of maturity to their product. I would buy a BEV version of anything that Range Rover comes out with (not the I-Pace). Right now, the only thing annoying is that off-the-line throttle delay ( it needs to be fix asap).

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
174 Posts
Tesla and L494 owner here. I have both the X and the 3. Owned a '14 and a '19 Sport. With the acceleration delay issues I'm seeing in the '19, I really feel a sense of danger when driving the RRS. However, the RRS feels like it's light years ahead in interior build and quality. To me, the Tesla craftsmanship is like Acura level (maybe even less so). Technology and handling is great. Does not feel luxurious. The Tesla is an appliance and nothing more. The Range Rovers are luxury cars and plenty of maturity to their product. I would buy a BEV version of anything that Range Rover comes out with (not the I-Pace). Right now, the only thing annoying is that off-the-line throttle delay ( it needs to be fix asap).

-ThinkMac-
You ever consider getting a VelocityAP tune? It might incidentally fix the throttle delay (on top of giving you more horses).

·
Registered
746 Posts
Don't need more power, but has been thinking about the Velocity mod for a bit, might be worth it if it really fixes the throttle delay. Although I read some thread that it still exist. Will research further.

-ThinkMac-

You ever consider getting a VelocityAP tune? It might incidentally fix the throttle delay (on top of giving you more horses).

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
254 Posts
Congrats on the purchase; very beautiful machine and love the interior color.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts