RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an early VIN# 1988 that I've been chasing an intermittent air pocket issue. I finally found the issue. My expansion tank is leaking very slightly at the top of the inlet nipple, and that's drawing air in as it cools down. I brazed the nipple to the tank for now, but I really would feel more comfortable replacing it. And that's the problem. I've searched all over and that brass tank that I have has been discontinued, the used ones that I have found all look sketchy at best, and I found one place in the UK that wants $400+ US for a NOS. Can I retrofit the tank to a plastic 1990-94 reservoir or am I stuck? And if I can go to the plastic type, what do I have to do to fit it/plumb it? I hope one of you guys has done this swap before.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plastic tank ESR63 does not look nice but that is what I fitted to my 1983 2 door
Works fine, same size.

Any issues mounting? And I think the level sensor is in the cap so I'd have to swap wires correct?

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
I don't have a level sensor, it was introduced with the VM diesel. It comes with the cap if you need it.
Can't remember the part number for the plastic tank but yes they exist

Enviado desde mi SM-A720F mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I found the plastic tank and cap with sensor, the last question is this-the older style tanks get fed with a small line from the top
of the radiator, the plastic tank type get fed with a small line that is joined to the lower radiator hose. Do I have to replace the lower hose to this style or can I just run the small upper line into the bottom of the new tank?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Take your brass tank to an old-school radiator shop. They can properly braise and pressure test it.

If you choose to buy plastic don’t throw out the metal one.

I know someone who just went through 10 plastic aftermarket tanks before getting one that doesn’t leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts