RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am about to buy an older RR and have a choice between a 1990 RRC EFI at 330km good condition and a L322 diesel 270km good condition ( auto fixed a while ago). I do like both shapes but I have owned 16 different LR over the past 40 years and am a bit concerned with the electronics in the later ones. Any advice? South Australian

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
214 Posts
Well, The RR Classics are going up in value, whereas the L322's are still going down. The classic's lucas electrics are notoriously finicky, but can usually be mended DIY. The more modern rovers have unreliable electronics that are vastly more complex and require specialized equipment to diagnose, and often are not fixable (just need to replace whichever computer or expensive sensor, that costs half what the whole car is worth). I like the L322's also, but unless I found one that had spend the last 15 years in a hermetically sealed box, I wouldn't want to deal with the daily headache. If you go modern, I'd buy something that still has a warranty!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that LanceL. I think we are on the same page but it’s good to be reassured. The only other Tangier’s that I have owned was in 1987 2 door 3.5. Was fantastic in the Northern Territory but of course I sold it later, now I wish that I still had it! Thanks again. Regards, macrobar

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have a 92
I love driveing it...and working on it
Enough said..

·
Registered
456 Posts
Same here from me, L322 look interesting but I don't really wish to take on some of the problems they generate.

Mine is a 1990 classic 3.9 auto at just over 250 k kms, and by comparison so simple. Only two "electricals" in last ten years with corroded wire to fuel pump and failed / intermittent pump relay.

But mechanical they are simple especially if maintenance is kept up. Imperative to have oil/ lubricant roster up to date as most problems derive from this. It shouldn't be leaking when inspected underneath, and check carefully the power steering system as it's simple to work on BUT costly for components. Same for anti lock brakes if fitted.

And more that anything else, clean coolant system with corrosion inhibiting mixture pays dividends long term.

So, classic support from me in decision making. Look at the example objectively though as you want one with obvious signs of documentation showing COMPETENT maintenance. Any significant questions , then maybe post here to seek opinion/ advice.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you gentlemen. I think the tenor of the observations are clear! Happy to go with the classic! Regards, Macrobar

·
Registered
456 Posts
Of course you are down here in the classic forum ;) no surprise which way we lean in the decision making.

I bet you'd get an opposite and informed view "round the corner" from the L322 cognoscenti.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts