RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, wondered if anyone could help with what type of oil is best for my 03 l322 4.4 v8 it's done 130,000 miles now, I changed the oil and filter a couple of months ago but sounds a little 'rattley' on start up when warm, do I need a different viscosity also it had a new gearbox at 80,000 do I need to change the oil anytime soon ? Any advice is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
29 Posts
Shell rotella t6 5/w40 and change it every 7500 not 15k
Yup, this. Great oil and no start up rattle. I was using Mobil 1 all different weights and the ratlle was unbearable. The Indy's wanted to replace half the engine and all it was was the oil!!!!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
the manual lists different oils if I remember right...5W30, 10W30, etc.
and I believe someone had posted on another thread how it has changed over time and
what they've listed.

the rotella...I believe that is diesel engine oil...they use it for heavy machinery and the like...
I have had friends that put that stuff in their cars...but in a bmw engine with variable
valve timing controls? eh....might be a little leary of that.
in my opinion these engines cost way too much to be exploring engine oils....
I would say just use a heavier oil. 10W40. see if that helps.

the guy that posted about the rotella....how long have you been doing it and what major
differences have you noticed?

and there are oil additives that can be put into an oil change that can help with the
leak down starts...that is what you are hearing. increased surface clearances and bled
down lifters. once the oil pressure throws some oil into the lifters and coats the surfaces...
instant quiet.

and yes...the rattle can be ridiculous. very annoying.

and to anyone that changes engine oil at 7500 in a range rover...I'll just put it out there.
dumb. it's a performance engine. it's only a 4.4L displacement gas engine.
it drags around a 6600 lb body...even if the oil is still good and provides good lubrication...
the major reason for oil changing is it's contamination with fuel and fuel byproducts.
and fresh oil keeps engine seals alive longer!!
at most I'd do every 5000. even with synthetic. you'll thank me when the rover lives to 220,000. oil comparably costs wayyyyyy less than a brand new bmw 4.4.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i use rotella 5w 40 no complaints except that when i do an oil change i get a lot of rattle for a few seconds but that is normal because the pressure has to build up. I try to do my oil every 3000 miles sometimes im lazy and go 5000 miles maybe even once i let it go 7500 miles. i have not used any other oil and i am happy with it i have a 2004 range rover with bmw engine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i use rotella 5w 40 no complaints except that when i do an oil change i get a lot of rattle for a few seconds but that is normal because the pressure has to build up. I try to do my oil every 3000 miles sometimes im lazy and go 5000 miles maybe even once i let it go 7500 miles. i have not used any other oil and i am happy with it i have a 2004 range rover with bmw engine.
thanks for the input range....
I know those rotella oils have, or did have, high levels of zinc in them for the flat tappet engines.
but i think they did away with a lot of that because the zinc was a cat killer.
modern emission regulations did away with a lot of the zinc'd oils.
anyway...some guys love the stuff in their cars/trucks...those rotella oils also have a detergent
effect and do some decent engine cleaning.

the only issue is with cars that have variable valve timing which is usually oil based in some form
of pressure control or routing, if you have a really messy engine that is already nasty, then you could
free that crap up and route it through the variable valve system and goof some stuff up.
a buddy did this to a high mileage honda a while back and ruined the engine. kicked up
crap in the engine and clogged some main bearing passageways and some cam oil passageways.
turned a few main bearings and ruined a cam...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts