RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, still working out whats "normal" for a Range Rover.
Has anyone any figures for how much engine oil I ought to be getting through pls ?
I seem to be forever topping up, but have been driving Isuzu troopers for years which don't seem to use any so may be being unrealistic.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Shouldn't be burning any oil at all... I know mine doesn't. It Just leaks like crazy lol 8~ . If yours also leaks, that could be where the oil is going. Pull your plugs and inspect the condition of the cylinders.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
jime said:
Hi, still working out whats "normal" for a Range Rover.
Has anyone any figures for how much engine oil I ought to be getting through pls ?
I seem to be forever topping up, but have been driving Isuzu troopers for years which don't seem to use any so may be being unrealistic.
Besides oil changes every 3000 miles, NONE.

Martin

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mine tends to use a bit, I've been told by land rover and by tuning companies that its normal and nothing to worry about. my engine was rebuilt this time last year and runs as sweet as anything.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for input.
I seem to have used circa 5.5 pints in 1000 miles.
running on a mix of petrol and LPG (cos I had a problem filling the lpg for a while).
Suspected this was high.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
We have @196K miles on ours, and it uses nothing between oil changes.
I have yet to build a motor where oil consumption is "normal" myself...
If it is using oil, either the rings/pistons or valve seals are not doing their job.
Assuming no extreme pressurizing of the lower end. In that case you would see if at the crank case vent.
Martin

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
My engine was at 160K with pretty much no oil use between changes. I leaked about 1/2cup every 3K from a seaping cam sensor. :?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
112,000 miles, and doesn't use a drop between 6000 mile oil changes. Doesn't even mark it's territory anymore after I changed the valley gasket :dance:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for really helpfull reponses.
Car is under a 3 month unconditional warranty so will be discussing with dealer. I now feel I can be a bit more posistive that somethings not right.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have an agreement with my P38 that it will dispense a few drops of oil a night onto my asphalt driveway as a means of "automatic sealing" of the driveway surface, saving me valuable time and money by protecting my driveway. :D

Generally this agreement will result in about a 1/2 qt or so of oil over a few months time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Neither of our 4.6 engines leak much oil, so any shortage is from evaporation or burning. My wife's seeps a little bit occasionally at the valve covers, but not much. The 85000 mile oil change had 5000 miles on the oil and it was down by about 1/2 quart/liter when I put the used oil back into the quart bottles.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Mine uses about a quart per 3k miles. By uses I mean it pukes it onto the driveway. Source: Valve covers. Fix: tighten cover bolts. Cost: More time than it's worth to me, so I just add the oil.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Bottom is oil-wet, but never any drops on the ground. I go about 10k miles between oil changes, and usually lose about a qt during that time.

·
Registered
865 Posts
That amount of oil use it should be smoking, if not then it must have a bad leak

250 000km's still going strong and oil burn is low, nowhere near yours

1 - 14 of 14 Posts