RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a 2004 Vogue with the BMW 4.4 V8 and I would like to know how much if any oil your engines are using. My engine has no leaks and does not obviously burn any oil but some does seem to dissappear. I also run a TD5 90 with about the same milage (50000ish) which uses nothing between services.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Have you changed the PCV hoses yet? These will seep oil, or will be gaping holes depending if they've been changed before.

Before I changed mine I was loosing about 1L every 3 months, the back of the car also had very light oil residue on it after long trips. Now I'm leaking oil from the valve cover gaskets! Plug one hole and it will leak from another!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan I read your post on changing the hoses but I have looked and mine seem fine. If they were leaking would you not see oil somewhere? When you say a litre in 3 months how many miles would that be?

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
drakes said:
Dan I read your post on changing the hoses but I have looked and mine seem fine. If they were leaking would you not see oil somewhere? When you say a litre in 3 months how many miles would that be?
The oil tends to run down the back of the engine so it burns off before you see it, the PCV system mainly carries the oil vapour rather than actual oil so it takes a while for you to loose a lot, more importantly it lets cold damp air into the engine. It's important to run your hand along the hoses to make sure they haven't failed out of sight, basically the oil just disolves them.

3 months for me is about 2-3,000 miles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks will have another look when the rain stops. Vehicle is under a main dealer warranty at the moment so if they have failed I shall have a trip in to see them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts