RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Am I correct in thinking that my 92 RRC takes Dexron 2/3 in the transfer box as well as the gearbox? Found that a little odd!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yes they take the same fluid

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just a bit confused because my Haynes says EP90 and the Rave Dexron

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I used dextron
I’ve done the transmission
Replacement
And before that I replaced a transfer
Case

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I used valvoline max life dextron 3
I’m pretty sure

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
83 Posts
Pre-1989 Range Rovers used an LT230 transfer case, which takes EP90.
In '89 they switched over to a Borg-Warner chain-driven transfer case, which takes Dexron II.
Most of the information in the Haynes manual covers the early Range Rovers sold in Britain - the Fuel System section refers to the carburetors for instance - but you should be able to find info on the Borg-Warner units in the Revisions section at the end. The RAVE manual covers the model years sold in North America.
I use Dex/Merc IV for the transmission and transfer case on my '91.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just use whatever fluids have pooled underneath mine and feed it back into anything that's low. ?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I knew of the different spec oil for these but the reason is very often not stated, leading to sometimes having the wrong oil used. Most often distorted by "the thicker the oil, the better the protection" lobby.

The "hy-vo" type chain was in effect developed by Borg Warner, so it's their spec that holds sway for chain driven gearbox applications.
They developed and specify running in automatic transmission fluid as it's fundamental to how the chain pins (and hence the wear surfaces) are supplied with lubrication. They are flushed out with low viscosity oil to cool the bearing load site and remove any wear debris effectively, with these attributes accounting for long service life.

EP gear oils are specifically designed for dipping and retaining the lubricant on the gear faces as they rotate in and out of oil bath. So in effect, the opposite set of attributes.

Generally they state the chains run at 25 degrees C above ambient environment, but they have an upper limit critical to operation. This they don't wish to breach as it can ultimately approach a tempering level of the chain plates which leads to failure.

Definitely ATF for BW transfer cases equipped with chain drive.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
50 Posts
If it;s post August 89 then dex 3 ATF is to be used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts