RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the sump off and cleaned both surfaces. Took about an hour. Dumb question---do I put the sealant on the sump face or body side of RR. Using Pentex.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Sling the Pentex and use what RAVE tells you to use. If you look you'll see that you put a thin bead around all of the sump with some extra dollops in the corners, RAVE tells you exactly where. Be careful when you lift the sump back into place as it's easy to wipe half the sealant off on the bottom of the bellhousing.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
Permatex is fine. Put a bead on the pan and let it set for a a minute. Lift the pan into place and put the bolts in with only a few threads on each bolt holding it in place and let sit another 5-10 minutes. This will allow the Permatex to adhere on the pan as well as the mating surfaces without being squashed out the sides before it can set. Torque and enjoy a leak free pan.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's exactly what I did. I ended up getting The Right Stuff. Ran the bead and very carefully lifted the sump back in place. Loosely Hand tightened two bolts and waited a few minutes. Then I hand tightened rest of bolts and the three nuts. Waited another few minutes and torqued to 16 lbs. I'm going to wait till tomorrow morning to fill it up and give it a try. Man, I hope I made the seal correctly.
One other thing happened when I was lifting the front of the RR. When I lifted it and put the front on stands it appears that the seal broke on one of the front air springs and all the air escaped. Is that normal. Is there a trick to reseal the bag when I am ready to drop the front?

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
What air springs have you got? I know Arnotts are known to come apart and I had it happen once on a cheap pattern bag but never on Dunlops.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
What air springs have you got? I know Arnotts are known to come apart and I had it happen once on a cheap pattern bag but never on Dunlops.
I've seen a couple of genuine airbags fail at the bottom seal. Always managed to put them back on and make them seal after cleaning and greasing.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
786 Posts
I bought a low mileage car some time back with the 4 original air springs still in place. The car had not been driven for more than a year and the air suspension was totally flat. It did not occur to me initially but the vehicle had been placed on a transporter using a forklift, and that combined with the totally empty air springs caused all 4 to un-seat as the axles extended.

The compressor was a little weak and I plumbed a schrader valve into the reservoir line so I could use a garage compressor to assist getting it pumped up. There was a lot of hissing all around but all 4 eventually re-seated one by one with each cracking like a rifle shot as it went home. And that was that. I proceded to drive the car 1000 miles home without any other issues or leaks. I very much doubt they would have re-seated using only the normal EAS compressor - it needed a lot of air flowing constantly to do the job.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These appear to be the original Dunlaps. They are certainly a bit long in the tooth but were holding and not leaking...yet. The air was definitely coming out of the top when it started to deflate. I'm going to try to reseat it later this morning after i warm my garage up. How did you plumb the valve in.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
786 Posts
I used a simple "press in" 6mm pneumatic T piece found in any shop that sells pneumatic stuff. The reservoir line is No 6 on the EAS valve block plastic housing. (the outlets are numbered 1 to 11. (but miss out 8 and 10). I simply cut the tube a couple of inches from the valve block and pressed the ends into the "T" and fitted the schrader valve. Its not necessary to cut the tube but I always do it this way.

If you have a short piece of air line just fit the T on the end that you pull out of the valve block and the short piece then fits between the T and valve block hole. (if that makes sense). The schrader valves with a 6 mm shank are available but I found that some tyre/wheel valves have a 6 mm shank if you cut the rubber off.
T Piece (Large).jpg
T.jpg

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you ghur, very interesting. Well I replaced the oil then partially lowered the rr still on Jack. I opened the door and let the compressor fill, closed the door and the darn thing sealed itself and inflated, made me a bit happy. Ran the rr for a while and no sump leaks yet. Will be taking kids to baseball practice so I will check again later, fingers crossed. Thank you all for all the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts