RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil today and when I put the sump plug back it won't tighten up properly - I feel a bit daft but I'm sure I wasn't over torquing it (nowhere near), but it was v tight to get off.

Anyway, I need to fix it asap and want to avoid buying a whole new pan so I'm thinking of getting an oversize plug - does anyone know what the size and pitch of the plug is? (or whether the oversize plugs aren't suitable? )

EDIT: the workshop manual has torque settings for M12 and M22 so it must be an M12 but I can't find anything about the pitch and don't have anything to measure my plug with. I imagine it's pretty fatal to get it wrong :) so any help would eb appreciated!

Cheers
John

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,410 Posts
Diesel or petrol?

Edit: from your other posts I see it is petrol so I can't help.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Hmm, why not just take the old bolt to the hardware/auto store and then get the next size up and a tap, or Helicoil?

Martin

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read that helicoil can leave a load of swarf that you can only get rid of by pulling the pan - and while that's not the end of the world, it is a headache, needs gaskets, etc. I don't have a tap & die set (yet... :) ) so im trying to be conservative - but my local hardware store is a national chain called B&Q and they don't have a reputation for answering those kind of questions!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
Then why not visit an auto parts store and get a self tapping plug designed for stripped holes? They are usually magnetic to hold any shavings. Of course pulling the pan takes maybe 20 minutes.... just sayin. Gasgets is a matter of model. GEMS uses RTV, which has also been done many times on Bosch when gaskets are not readily available.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
I have tapped oil pans on stuff that has an engine that costs a lot more than a 4.6 with success.
Vaseline on the tap, and oil draining out, removes any swarf.

Martin

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,410 Posts
Helicoil comes either as a kit with the correct taps included or you can just buy the insets if you already have the taps. Buy it on line rather than local DIY store.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts