RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do have a bit of an oil leak(like any other RR) but only while driving, it doesn't drip overnight or anything, you can just see the bottom of the oil pan with the fan blowing the oil back while driving. The annoying part is whenever I roll the windows down, is when I can smell that oil? What is it most likely, im pretty sure theres some head gasket leaks but anything else that would make it smell when windows are down. Id rather have oil than coolant leaks any day but the smell bother me. BTW, this is an external head gasket leak if it is leaking from there which it prob id. I have 120k miles on my RR

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Rocker cover is leaking onto your manifold, burning the oil (why it doesn't drip) and you smell it. Try to tighten the bolts before you go replacing the gasket, as they pretty much always come loose on their own. (mine need tigtening too)

·
Registered
219 Posts
It might be a leak in your oil cooler hoses.
look under the car by the radiator it should be dry there.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have this same issue, you find it is leaking on the starter motor too, also on the cat, etc. Try tighting the bolts but if that does not which it did not for me, you will have to replace the rocker cover gaskets and make sure you put some gasket seal around both side of the new one. While you have everything off, fuel rail, penduim chamber etc you might aswell tighten the valley gasket bolt too for good measure.
hope this helps
Onetime

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WHATS THE ROCKER COVER?? Are you talking tighten the valve cover gasket? any pics of these other things I should tighten?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Try to tighten them but if you have my issues better off replacing the gaskets, also you can not get to the bolt of the air intake side without removing most of the stuff you have too replace them should only take about an hour to replace them.
Onetime

·
Registered
128 Posts
JaguarS4R said:
so tightening them up will do the trick? no need to replace the gaskets?
I would check the breather hoses to the covers are free of gunk, that way the rocker covers are not under pressure, that can force oil out throgh the gasket....as happened to me :oops:

SID.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
JaguarS4R said:
why are valve covers here referred to as ROCKER covers?
Boot/bonett = trunk/hood

It's the same thing it just depends on where you are at in the world. A rocker cover is more accurate as it covers the rockers.

·
Registered
128 Posts
JaguarS4R said:
the boot/bonnet i know of but never heard rocker cover
Thats the thing about my mother toung, every one has a different name for the same thing !!!
Maybe it would be best to use the names of parts as Land Rover use, that sould really mess things up :mrgreen:

SID.

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
rocker covers/valve covers
tappets/lifters
petrol/gas
boot/trunk
bonnet/hood
tyres/tires
gaol/jail
Mum/Mom
words that end with "ize" instead of "ise" (e.g. capitalise), or "er" instead of "re" (e.g centre)

the list goes on and on...

In Australia we tend to be bi-lingual when it comes to our (Anglo) native language... a confusing mix of English heritage and many American TV shows :)

Back on to the subject... I reused a set of near-new rocker cover gaskets a while back when I replaced the rockers and tappets. Almost immediately I got an oil leak dripping on to the exhaust manifold... smelly yes, but in my case smoking too.

Not a trivial task to replace the rocker cover gaskets on a Thor engine, a bit time consuming but not too difficult. I started to document it at http://paulp38a.com/99p38a/lifters-and-rockers/ but paid work got in the way. Hopefully I'll get back to it some time and narrate it... the pics are all loacted at http://paulp38a.com/gallery/v/99RR/lifters_and_rockers/

Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PaulP38A said:
rocker covers/valve covers
tappets/lifters
petrol/gas
boot/trunk
bonnet/hood
tyres/tires
gaol/jail
Mum/Mom
words that end with "ize" instead of "ise" (e.g. capitalise), or "er" instead of "re" (e.g centre)

the list goes on and on...

In Australia we tend to be bi-lingual when it comes to our (Anglo) native language... a confusing mix of English heritage and many American TV shows :)

Back on to the subject... I reused a set of near-new rocker cover gaskets a while back when I replaced the rockers and tappets. Almost immediately I got an oil leak dripping on to the exhaust manifold... smelly yes, but in my case smoking too.

Not a trivial task to replace the rocker cover gaskets on a Thor engine, a bit time consuming but not too difficult. I started to document it at http://paulp38a.com/99p38a/lifters-and-rockers/ but paid work got in the way. Hopefully I'll get back to it some time and narrate it... the pics are all loacted at http://paulp38a.com/gallery/v/99RR/lifters_and_rockers/

Cheers, Paul.

GREAT POST, THANK YOU :dance:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Pual38a, thankyou the the website what all P38 owners need to explore. very very helpful.
onetime

1 - 20 of 20 Posts