RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2006 Range Rover HSE. I purchased it in November, and noticed that there is a 30,000 mile difference from the actual odometer. I have check the car history reports, and there does not seem to be a roll back, but this could be a sign. I was wondering if this is possible? Does anyone have any help on this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
47 Posts
Probably the km/miles to the next oil service that shows for a short time when you turn the key. I don't understand how you can match this to the usual odometer though. Perhaps someone changed the oil to early or to late?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hannez82 is right, it is the next oil service mileage when I first turn the key. It shows for a few seconds. The manual says that it is set when the oil is changed. It is supposed to work off the odometer from what it says. Mine shows 123918 miles. My actual odometer reading is 95042. That is over 28000 miles different, and a long time between oil changes.
My concern that maybe the odometer has been reset.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I can only assume the OP has a low mileage vehicle and is expecting that the oil service indicator is supposed to match the mileage on the odometer. It doesn't - the oil change indicator is supposed to get reset every time an oil change gets done...

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Hannez82 is right, it is the next oil service mileage when I first turn the key. It shows for a few seconds. The manual says that it is set when the oil is changed. It is supposed to work off the odometer from what it says. Mine shows 123918 miles. My actual odometer reading is 95042. That is over 28000 miles different, and a long time between oil changes.
My concern that maybe the odometer has been reset.
Read the Owner's Handbook to learn more about the SII (Service Interval Indicator) in your car. That figure - 123918 - makes no sense. I don't know what it is, but it can't be mileage. If the car was overdue for an oil change by that many miles :shock: there would be a minus sign in front of that number, and I doubt the countdown timer would reach that high to begin with, I think it maxes out at - 9999 miles or something... Even if the original owner never reset that timer - doubtful as 2006s were covered by complimentary maintenance for the first 6 scheduled tune-ups and dealers normally reset those timers as part of the oil change routine - that number you see still would make no sense. Does it increase or decrease every day?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It could be that high if an oil change was done at lets say 118900, then the sii would show 123900. If the odometer was rolled back to 95000, the difference could be that much. By the way it does say 123918 miles. I have read the manual twice, and it says the calculation is based off the odometer when the sii is reset after service.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
That's not the way the SII works on my RRS and LR4, the mileage resets back to +7500 miles and +6 months after the dealer visit (+15,000 miles and +12 months on my LR4), and the countdown starts from there and goes negative if you overshoot either mileage or time. It doesn't reset to the total mileage recorded on the odometer. That's been my experience with other LR vehicles, but I don't own a MkIII Range Rover so I will let other owners chime in.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
There have been issues with the service reminder being reset incorrectly, giving crazy readings like this. It is more common in the 08/09 L322s, and can cause the information display to blank out as well.

The fix for this is to have the IP software reflashed, and the reminder reset at the same time. Dealer level equipment will be needed for this.

But it should be on a count down from ~7500 miles and 182 days, and will turn negative once either of those are exceeded.

Is there a small dot on the mileage display screen?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Umbertob. I spoke to LR USA just now. They suggested to bring it to the local dealer, and have it checked. They think the vehicle mileage has been tampered with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts