RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

My oil light comes up when engine idles.

Will new oil pump gears be good enough, or is a complete new cover the way to go?

Thanks

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
you need to pull the cover remove the gears and look for any scoring and check tolerances. It could be that oil pick up screen is clogged up. We also need to know if you have GEMS or Bosch. Please add your rover info to your signature

·
Registered
496 Posts
so what are the pressures , how do you know its the pump it could be worm mains or big end bearings etc. hopefully its the pump but it may not be. try a thicker oil ,maybe your oil has thinned out from fuel ingress,might just need an oil change?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Check you sender first. My 98 would flicker the oil pressure light at idle. Installing a new sensor fixed that.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Ideally you want to add an accurate (mechanical) pressure gauge. You could plug it in to the port for the oil pressure switch. I've seen a description in Rave somewhere, but can't find it now.
Whatever you do, don't run the engine for any length of time until you're sure of the pressure!

Filip

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil sender is new, bearings are new..
With both front covers I had the oil light came on. Engine has just been apart and with installing oil cooler line a part of the cover snapped off.

With the old cover everything was within tolerance, with the spare cover I didn't had any choice, but used the thickest gears from the old cover.

Oil is 15W40

It's a 4.6 GEMS

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

Check the pressure relief valve, it could be stuck and not fully closed causing pressure loss during idling enough to lit the light.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

The test Escape refers to is in the RAVE under the Discovery chapter which has the same engine as the P38.

Best regards

Jos

·
Registered
419 Posts
I would for sure change the cheap pressure sender before I took off the cover.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts