Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Range Rover P38 BOSCH ENGINE 4.6L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had gotten my rr all assembled and tried to start the car, come to find out the starter wouldn’t even turn the car qnd felt like something was stuck. Upon inspection I found out it was the oil pump gears not allowing the crank to be turned. My question is what could have gone wrong? when I loosen the oil plate it looks good, my gears dont look too bad and it’s plenty filled with engine assembly lube and oil.

heres a closer look at the gears

with this plate off I am able to spin the gears freely without any obstruction, but upon adding the 7 phillip screws and bolt, it all locks and cant be turned. I found this to be the culprit and cant seem to find any damage that needs replacing. Perhaps I am missing a few steps? I have tried cleaning and reinstalling with more oil and assembly lube but still nothing, it wont allow the starter to turn over the engine and it gets stuck every time. Any help?

pic without gears for further inspection

·
Registered
1999 Range Rover P38 BOSCH ENGINE 4.6L
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also worth noting the reason why I know it is the oil pump is because without the timing cover installed, I can turn the car by hand or with the starter. I was able to do it before but now cannot

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
527 Posts
is it the original gears or have you replaced them . put a strait edge across the gear face and see if their is clearance between the the housing and the gear face

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
474 Posts
You should be able to turn the gears with your hand , then install, I don't get what is wrong here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts