RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

2004 Range Rover HSE with Stop! Engine Oil Pressure warning on the dash. I've been over it myself and taken it to a good shop to look at it. They changed the Pressure Sensor, oil filter, oil change with two different weights of oil, cleaned the pan and pickup screen (and summarily replaced the pan gasket), and checked the pump to make sure that it wasn't loose.

With each oil service, the lights go off for about 150 - 200 miles, then pop back on with no provocation, independent of speed, drive distance, time of day, weather, temp (engine and outdoor), etc.

I'm lost and they're lost. There's no loss of power and the engine sounds just as beautiful as it has for thousands of miles. Without the warning, there's no indication that anything is happening.

Anyone have a clue as to what I could be missing?

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Noting that the oil pressure sensor is a simple ground circuit I would trace the wiring. I don;t have the schematics with me but there are only two choices. The trigger wire grounds out when the sensor gains pressure or the trigger wire grounds out when the sensor looses pressure. Either way a poor connection or a rubbed wire grounding could be the culprit. I would seriously doubt anything mechanical because when a BMW looses oil pressure you'd think a cement mixer full of anvils were coming at you.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a similar problem but with the brake pad wear warning. I've changed both sensors as well as all the pads, even though they still had lots of life left in them. Cleaned connectors several times and sometimes I think I solved the problem and then it comes back again.
I need to find time to do some more diagnostics, such as shorting the connector to exclude the sensor and such.

I think the same could be done for the oil warning light, but only after making sure there really is not an oil pressure problem. I would just buy an oil pressure gauge and install it with a tee together with the sensor. It could be just one of those generic after market gauges and mount it temporarily on the bonnet,to avoid the hassle of getting the pipe to the interior. You could then test drive and see whether the pressure is steady or if there is any real pressure drop when the light comes on.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
792 Posts
The oil filter housing sits on rubber mountings which means it needs its own dedicated earth wire and this should be secured by one of the mounting nuts. Have a look and see if it broken or perhaps not even there. I have come across a few cars with it in the wrong place or missing.
Earth.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all, it worked! My coolant expansion tank had blown a few days before this started happening and got coolant on a lot of the ground contacts. I powerwashed (gently) the engine and scrubbed down every ground wire I could ring with rubbing alcohol and haven't had the issue since.

Thank you so much! I just wish I'd posted here before letting the shop get flummoxed, I would've saved a couple hundred. Ah well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts