RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

On my 83 3.5 (carb) the little tab had broken off the oil pressure switch when I received it as a 'barn find'. No problem readily available. However 2 years later and I just ordered nr3. They keep failing on me.

First one I fitted did not work (no light pressure or no pressure). Second one failed after about 2000 miles, oil light came on the freeway. Initial panic but then oil pressure gauge showed healthy pressure. Checked everything (on the hard shoulder of the I10) only to conclude sensor had failed closed. They this week, driving in Houston at 110F heat - hit a tremendous rain storm and in the middle of all of this my oil light comes on - pressure guage looks good so I carry on. Light goes off - then on again then off etc for about 30min. Next day switch on ignition - no oil light. Oil sensor failed open.

On other cars I never had these issues with oil sensors - just terrible quality. So far I tried LandRover - Allmakes and Britpart. I am going to try URO next. They are probably all the same part sold at different prices. I am almost tempted to solder a wire to the original 1983 oil sensor which is probably superior to anything available today.

Could be worse I suppose, at least I HAVE oil pressure I suppose

·
Registered
630 Posts
I had the same problem with a temp sending switch.....
It let the gauge right at the red line
Even though it wasn’t hot....
I installed an old one I had
And it worked like it was suppose to.
I contacted the company that sold it to me....their answer was I didn’t have it installed by a certified LR mechanic
Lol
Really

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey JS5D,

I had the same issue with the oil pressure light coming on sporadically. I went through three different oil pressure sensors before settling on this:

I also replaced the oil pump drive gears to rule out any actual oil pressure issues, which I would recommend at least as a preventative measure.
The original gear shaft on mine was all but seized and had to be hammered out from the top, so I can't imagine that was doing me any favors.
Even though the above sensor and new oil gears helped, I was still occasionally getting the light until I switched to Mobil1 15W-50.
The thicker oil helps with oil pressure, and now I really only see the light come on at startup.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an '85 3.5 with carb too, at those high continuous ambient temps, a high zinc 20W50....helps quite a bit with pressure. Trying to find good electrical bits is a pain....being the age of these old Rovers, I expect some aggravation from time to time.

Tony in Illinois
'85 Classic
'96 Disco 1

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amazon delivered my new Uro-006926 LR-STC4103 oil pressure switch ($4.63 free prime delivery). 5 min installation job and we are back with correctly functioning oil warning light.

Uro makes a lot of parts for Mercedes also (my other classic) and typically the Mercedes community is not all too impressed, but who knows my oil pressure switch might just keep on working for many years to come.

I bench tested the oil pressure switch that came out and yes it was and open circuit (should be closed circuit with no pressure). So that went in the bin (sorry Trash!)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same intermittent low oil pressure light issue with my 95 RRC a few years back. Replaced oil pump gear and pressure switch twice, but the problem persisted. I tapped into the oil line and installed a pressure meter to assist with diagnosis. Turns out the pressure switches I bought from ebay were opening at ~9 psi vice 2.75–5.75 psi referenced in RAVE. I bought a higher priced switch from UK (don't remember name), and that fixed the problem. My oil pressure is ~30 psi when cold and hovers around 9-12 psi when hot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts