RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

my first post after having used this source of wisdom for a while.
So I am a bit concerned:
I started up my engine yesterday (cold start, night time temperature approx 10 degrees Celsius ) and after 10 seconds or so engine oil started to ooze out of the oil filter housing, at the top, where the cap is screwed into place.
I had the cap from the engine coolant expansion tank off because I wanted to have a look inside and have a whiff (smell).
But today, with the coolant expansion tank cap firmly on, started engine up, same thing, oil oozing out the oil filter housing and not in small volumes ( approx 100-200ml over a minute) and coffee brown in colour.
Drove for 20-30 minutes, checked under the bonnet ( the hood for our 'mmmerican friends), no more oil flow.

Background: I had oil and oil filter changed 2000 miles ago, and then about 1000 miles ago the following:
- radiator
- thermostat
- transmission oil cooler and it's fixing plate
- both temperature thermometers for the engine cooling system and the transmission oil cooler
- accessory belt

the last 500 miles or so were on dirt track, extremely fine dust and lots of it.

Another thing that I realized on my 30 minute drive: On my lynx diagnostics tool I found the following error: "P1614 - Electric thermostat circuit open. Drive cycle A".
Also, after 15 minutes of driving the live stream showed coolant temperature to be 75 degrees Celsius, whereas radiator coolant temperature was still 13.5 degC.

Sounds to me like the thermostat didn't close and the coolant wasn't circulating through the radiator. A bit odd, given I had just got the car back from the land rover garage.

My fuel consumption is also somewhat high with 17-18 MPG ( imperial) cruising at 100km/h (62 mph)

A couple other unrelated questions:

- I had started up the engine with expansion tank lid open because I feared I had over filled it ( I poured in another 300 ml of destilated water after getting it back from the garage). What happens when one over fills the expansion tank ?

- gearbox module was reading livestream wheel speeds. All where the same except front left which was exactly double the speed that the other three wheels. Need I worry ?

- what is normal operation temperature for the transmission oil ?

- what is the system pressure ( transmission) relating to ? I had 17 mA standing there , what unit is mA, is it atmospheres ?

Many thanks, I really would appreciate some advise.

Chris.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Wow, way too many questions in one post. As far as your topic on oil oozing, it's most likely a fouled gasket. A bit of grit under or on the gasket will cause leaking. Another option is that the cap was over tighten and cracked. coolant tank cap has nothing to do with oil leaking at the filter.

When you over fill your expansion tank you will have issues reaching proper pressure. In the end it will either blow out the overfill tube or if your cap is not up to snuff the tank will rupture at the seam. Remove the extra fluid immediately, either through siphon or hose disconnect.

Wheel speed sensor can fail or the reluctor ring can have a bit of metallic grit in one of the gaps causing erroneous readings.

No clue on your tranny oil temp as far as mA = milliampere. Atmosphere is air pressure... Think barometric pressure, but I have no clue what that would have to do with your tranny.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I will add to RRToadHall's suggestions by adding that you should check the two large PCV hoses and PCV valve at the back of the engine. The hoses are known to go soft, collapse and take out engines. Your vehicle may have a heater blanket wrapping these hoses, it has a Velcro closure, if it does open it up and inspect the hoses.

Another very common issue is for the exhaust to freeze in the PCV area, especially on older failing PCV units, and basically clog the system. You need to eliminate this possibility before driving the vehicle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot RRToadHall,

Will check the oil filter housing O-ring for grit.
Any ideas what to do about the thermostat problem? Performed a quick search for "P1614" ( the error code) in the keywords field of the search machine but no post.
Strikes me as odd that it's failed already after it was installed only a week and 1000 miles ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks KG74,

Do you know the part number of these two hoses that you mentioned so I can have a look on the internet what they look like in my engine bay ? or do you have a picture perhaps?
Many thanks

I will add to RRToadHall's suggestions by adding that you should check the two large PCV hoses and PCV valve at the back of the engine. The hoses are known to go soft, collapse and take out engines. Your vehicle may have a heater blanket wrapping these hoses, it has a Velcro closure, if it does open it up and inspect the hoses.

Another very common issue is for the exhaust to freeze in the PCV area, especially on older failing PCV units, and basically clog the system. You need to eliminate this possibility before driving the vehicle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts