RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a pretty bad oil leak, turned out to be the pressure switch was an easy fix. Since i fixed the leak i noticed another small leak coming from the bottom left side of the radiator. I checked all around and couldn't see where it was coming from. It does not seem to be engine oil, i think it may be tranny fluid because it is oily so i know it is not coolant. Anyone have experience with a leak form this are? Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

Behind the radiator is the gearbox oil cooler. The hoses and connections to the cooler are known to be sources of leaks.
Check if the hoses are not cracked. It could also be the cooler itself that is corroded through.

Besides the gearbox oil cooler there is the AC condensor, which can also leak. If it leaks it is also leaking out compressor oil from the R134a system. This oil is most likely mixed with a tracer fluid and will light up when a UV light source is used and show clearly the leak pattern of the oil.

Best regards

Jos

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick response. I will check all those hoses. Unfortunately the tranny cooler is the hardest one to get to. I will check to see if its coming from the ac as well with a black light..good trick.

Anyone have input on the easiest way to access the tranny cooler?

Thanks

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
The oil and tranny coolers are super easy to get to. Simply unlock and remove your upper shroud. Remove the radiator retaining bolts. Remove the slam panel. At this point just lift the radiator a little over an inch and lean the top towards the engine. A piece of cardboard will protect the fan from hitting the radiator surface. You now have enough room to inspect the coolers for leaks. If things are really bad you also have enough room to soak the coolers in degreaser and clean them up. After cleaning, reasseble and drive for a couple hundred miles and recheck for leaks.

This is definately not by the book, but eliminates the need to drain and fully remove the radiator jsut to look for a leak. You will however need to remove the radiator fully to replace cooling lines or coolers themselves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts