RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an odd problem with my 95 LWB, whenever the engine gets warm and the RPM goes back to idle the oil light starts flickering. The engine runs fine otherwise. I suspect the oil pressure. On the last state inspection the mechanic was 'sure' it was the oil pump going, I don't trust him though. Just checking in for a second opinion before I bite the bullet.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
I wold guess oil pump, however what are the temps like in your area vs the weight of oil? Too thin an oil will certainly cause this with warm weather.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
138 Posts
I have a similar problem. The oil light takes about 5-8 seconds to go out on a cold startup. I have tried Fram, Britpart and currently using a Wix filter but the problem persists. 178kms/ 110 miles and using a 20W-50 engine oil, could this be the reason?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Dudes.

It's the oil grade you're using ? I had to use 20w50 instead of my usual 10w40 from the same oil manufacturer and my oil light flickered as you guys mentioned !

My last lube job nearly 18 months ago resulted in replenishing the engine oil and filter with the 10w40 grade product and all the flickering nonsense disappeared.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rrtoadhall said:
I wold guess oil pump, however what are the temps like in your area vs the weight of oil? Too thin an oil will certainly cause this with warm weather.
Thanks for your reply. I am on the East Coast and the problem tends to show up when the engine is really warm or as you suggested if the outside temp is already there. Just had an oil change (10W-40). I've also had a stall the other day at idle after driving for a longer period of time. Maybe the stalling is unrelated, but I had stalling problems before, which I thought I had addressed with a new fuel pump and new ignition amplifier.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
atlantic said:
rrtoadhall said:
Thanks for your reply. I am on the East Coast and the problem tends to show up when the engine is really warm or as you suggested if the outside temp is already there. Just had an oil change (10W-40). I've also had a stall the other day at idle after driving for a longer period of time. Maybe the stalling is unrelated, but I had stalling problems before, which I thought I had addressed with a new fuel pump and new ignition amplifier.
The problem is rarely a oil pump, just a worn motor is the most likely reason. A thicker hot weight oil may help. Try a 15W50.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts