RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this hasn't been covered ad nauseum, and I just can't find the solution, but my 2012 Range Rover Sport just won't show me the oil level. I've tried following the instructions (truck on level surface, press start without foot on brake pedal, then navigate to service section, all done after waiting 10-15 minutes after driving).
Noticed it before I went in to have the oil changed, and was hoping to see something after. Nothing. Just says, "not available".
Anyone know a possible resolution, or is this a dealership thing?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,469 Posts
Are you checking with the car cold or with the car warmed up? Generally, it will NOT show when the vehicle is cold.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
checked it after running around for a bit. Maybe 1.5 hours running time. Let it sit for about 10 minutes on the street (pretty flat) then checked. Nothing

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
106 Posts
checked it after running around for a bit. Maybe 1.5 hours running time. Let it sit for about 10 minutes on the street (pretty flat) then checked. Nothing
I usually have to give mine 20 minutes. Manual says 15 but until the 20 minute mark, mines indicates 'unavailable' as well.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I confirmed this a few days ago as I had done my oil change ans was a little confused as to what was hapenning. So here is how it works.

While car is running = no reading
Turn car off and check = no reading
Turn car off and check 20 mins later on even a slight incline = no reading

The system will only give you a reading if the car is on a perfectly flat surface and it has been sitting for at least 20 mins. My garage has a teeny tiny incline for water drainage and even that's enough to lock out the oil level sensor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"The system will only give you a reading if the car is on a perfectly flat surface and it has been sitting for at least 20 mins"

Very true! I haven't checked in awhile, figuring I wouldn't get a different result, but I parked again on the street directly in front of my house, waited about 20 minutes and sure enough, a level reading! I can't imagine why they made this truck so finicky! Anyway, thankfully I don't have to take it to the dealership for some very expensive trouble shooting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts