RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have a 2004 Range Rover with strange symptoms.:shock:
Oil is leaking from the oil filler cap when driving.
There is also quite a bit of white smoke(vapor???) coming out of the filler cap when I open it while idling.
PCV seems to work properly if I disconnect hose out by few mm, I see white smoke being sucked by intake...
How much smoke should be there ?
What could cause the crankcase to overpressure like that?
Also have misfire on couple cylinders at idle and very oily spark.

Cold climate (Canada) and had weird issue when it all started, unable to start, had to jump the fuel pump to get fuel to the engine....everything OK now.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
It certainly sounds like your crankcase is being pressurized. I understand that there is an elbow in there that can freeze if water vapours are condensing in there. This has caused a pressure buildup in the crankcase and i have read on here that the engine oil can be pumped out of the engine as a result. We had weird stuff in this cold but our issue is noise with the timing chain. Your misfires could be a result of oil being blown into the spark plug hoes and allowing the coils to short out and therefore create misfires. This you can find by removing the top engine cover and iirc the covers over the coils or loo in the plug holes to see if any have oil in them. If you remove the 2 nuts that hold the coil onto the plug and pull up you might find oil on the end of thecoul. That should be your misfire issue. If you have a misfire it will be a P301-8 code to indicate which cyl. iirc pass side front to rear is 1-4 and drivers side front to rear is 5-8. Confirm on here with RR toad posting in last few months. If you have a blow by issue then a compression test would possibly show thru very low compression in a cylinder that the low comp. is causing the blow by which would possibly mean that the block is scored and hence junk (absolute worst case). I thick most likely an issue due to something frozen due to this crazy cold. I the it was LRforlife? who used to use a hairdryer to warm his pcv assembly before driving. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point, I forgot to mention, very litle to no oil under coil cover.
Seems like oil is spitting out of oil cap, then making its way to the back of engine via top of air intake/top of valve cover and leaking on hot exhaust..!!
RR has been sitting in the garage for 2 days now (heated 10C or 50F).
If PCV was clogged I wouldnt see suction when hose is disconnected ???
Over pressure seems to happen when driving, I dont see any leak when idling...
misfire on cyl 1-2 constant and once in a while on 1,2,4,and 5.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Pull the PCV hoses off the diaphragm on the back of the intake and look for white/orange sludge. Check all PCV hose conditions.

Were it me I would remove the diaphragm valve and clean it out and change the hoses. You can use off the shelf hoses of the proper grade. These hoses go bad and can destroy the engine. You may also have a clog of the hose that drains back into the oil pan - this many times is ignored. You can disconnect it top and bottom and spray some carb cleaner through top and see if it comes out the bottom (block off bottom or you will have an oil mess).

Do you have a heater blanket on the two hoses by the diaphragm? The M62 has problems in the cold especially when the car is not permitted to get up to temperature for long enough. Water in the PCV system, a natural by-product of combustion, mixes with oil and freezes and causes a "sludge" clog.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no blanket heater.
When I disconnet hose before the diaphragm (the one that get to the elbow that is prone to freeze) I can see a lot of white smoke coming out.
When I approach the hose back, I can see the smoke being sucked by the PCV Valve.
Is it normal to have white smoke(or vapor??) coming out of there at idle?

·
Registered
346 Posts
No - white smoke is not normal under normal operating conditions. At start up more gas is used so more vapor will be produced. Combustion produces water vapor - don't confuse it with burning coolant or oil.

What you need to do is inspect the insides of the hoses and PCV diaphragm for buildup orange/white/yellowish sludge - this is what freezes as it is a mixture of water and oil. Also make sure your PCV hoses are not so soft that they collapse under suction - this is what took out Engine #1 on my RR per the prior owner.

If you want send me a pm with your address I will try and find a spare blanket I believe works that I have somewhere. I am not sure if you need to have the feature coded on (HOPEFULLY SOMEONE will chime in) - but the connector should be on the back of a harness on Bank 1 and I believe all vehicles have the harness from the factory.

The system should have a very slight negative pressure if I recall correctly.

Has your secondary air pump been deleted?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont know about the secondary air pump, I didnt do it under my ownership of the RR.

It's been sitting for 3 days in the garage now so I would assume everything is unfrozen.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The SAI was deleted, I thought in late 2003 models and at least early 2004 models. Ours does not have it but I believe there is an unused lead that remains on the engine wiring harness. The Vanos system was designed in part to eliminate the need for sai. The front of the engine had a crossover pipe iirc. which also would have had a valve at each end of it. Our P38 had this system with an air pump also so if neither of these items are on yours then yours does not have sai.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts