RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if any of the lads or lasses on this side of the pond had fitted one of these http://www.landroverfilters.co.uk/ to his pride and joy and if so what do think.
They do sound awesome.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Not sure I can believe this. Too good to be true I think. :think:

As you are probably changing your filter and oil every 6k miles anyway, and you are using a quality oil, then I'd forget about using one.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Even if its carry less particles in suspension oil will break down over time and useage and lose its ability to coat the insides of the engine, lubricate and dissappate heat.
I'd agree with Rich and just keep changing the oil.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure I can believe this. Too good to be true I think.

My thoughts where the same Rich but i have been doing some googleing on this wet and windy day and it seems this kind of filtration has been around for years in hydraulic oil applications it's just that someone has brought the technology to the land rover world.
It's also apparent more manufaturers are bringing out extended life oil filters to cope with the longer service intervals being imposed by car manufacturers.eg Mobil 1 oil filter, fram extended life so i can now belive this product is capable of doing the job, it may even be better specked than the filters mentioned as i can't find out there flow rates or filtration properties.
It's certainly getting me thinking of sticking to the oil changes but only doing a yearly filter change that way the price doesn't seem to bad.
But then again mobil 1 or castrol edge at 6000 mile changes is't cheap anyway

But it would be nice to know of some one who has taken the plunge to get some feedback

·
Registered
483 Posts
The basic idea is very common and will definitely filter more but:

1; if its so fine and gets the fine stuff in it will it reduce flow? very probably I suspect.

2; Oil deterioration is not just from particulates but the oil itself degrades, especially in the way of use of additives and increasing acidity due to ring blow past (all engines do it don't kid yourself).

So yes you will filter out more crap but how much will you gain? Even if it looks cleaner I would still change it at the recommended time if not before.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if its so fine and gets the fine stuff in it will it reduce flow? very probably I suspect.
My concerns too, but just how quickly does a paper filter block up and let other damaging material bypass because it hasn't got the ability to filter the finer possibly more damaging particles out.

As regards oil they will all break down overtime and i will always change at the specified intervals , but if i can remove more crap in a filter maybe it's time to change and purchase a more efficient filter and change just as often.

·
Registered
442 Posts
At $55.00AUD plus for a filter delivered i would buy the best brand spec filter at a cheaper price and change out more regulary.I do mine every 5000klm oil and filter :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts