RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opnions on using an oil extractor ,such as Pela to do oil changes.Never used one myself or actually know anyone who does,but as age creeps on the thought of not lying under the vehicles to do an oil change becomes more appealing :dance:

·
Registered
1998 Range Rover P38A
73 Posts
I've used a Mityvac before, it's useful in some situations, like on a BMW that has an oil filter on top. I think you're better off just draining the oil from the sump, it is incredibly easy on the RR. The mess comes from the oil filter change anyways, you'll still need to get under the vehicle for that.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jinx said:
I've used a Mityvac before, it's useful in some situations, like on a BMW that has an oil filter on top. I think you're better off just draining the oil from the sump, it is incredibly easy on the RR. The mess comes from the oil filter change anyways, you'll still need to get under the vehicle for that.
You are right about still getting under the RR to do the filter.We have a golf with the filter accessible from above,so appropiate for that.Do you think the volume of oil removed is similar to draining the sump?

·
Registered
1998 Range Rover P38A
73 Posts
It does a decent job of picking up most of the oil, assuming your tube is in fact at the bottom of the sump (it's not a straight shot on some vehicles). If you go this route be sure the oil is hot when it's extracted to get out as much muck as possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts