RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no clue why this has happened or what's causing this but I got home from work today and smelled something burning coming from my 2004 RR HSE. When I popped the hood to have a quick look....OMG!!!! Oil sprayed all over the left side of the engine bay and burning off the hot engine block. I got no warning lights or messages on the dashboard. It's extremely cold right now -28 Celsius all day and my truck was parked outside while I was at work. I recently changed the oil so the oil is brand new. Can anyone tell me what this could be?

[attachment=3:36v49kpr]photo.jpg[/attachment:36v49kpr]
[attachment=2:36v49kpr]2.jpg[/attachment:36v49kpr]
[attachment=1:36v49kpr]3.jpg[/attachment:36v49kpr]
[attachment=0:36v49kpr]4.jpg[/attachment:36v49kpr]

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just spoke to my dad and he's saying that maybe the engine coolant is not strong enough to withstand the tempurature that we are experiencing outside right now and therefore the coolant froze / expanded and caused the head gasket to fail or worse cracked the head. Is this likely? If so, how much is this gonna cost me??

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Getti said:
Just spoke to my dad and he's saying that maybe the engine coolant is not strong enough to withstand the tempurature that we are experiencing outside right now and therefore the coolant froze / expanded and caused the head gasket to fail or worse cracked the head. Is this likely? If so, how much is this gonna cost me??
Unless you were just running just water (in which case you kinda deserve what's happened) you normally only get light frost/slush build up in the radiator. For the water in the block to freeze it would have to be super cold and the damage usually occurs to the radiator. Also not sure how you would then get oil everywhere. Perhaps a quick search would help too. Between the oil filter housing and the PCV system there are a few people who have lost their oil recently.

Dan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I cleaned up all the oil really well and ran the engine. The oil leak is mysteriously gone. I can't get it to leak again which leads me to think I had the same problem as the guy in that first reply, pcv system problem. I wonder how difficult it is to remedy this? I'm gonna get a block heater also. I'm happybthe head is fine etc... Coolant is very strong also.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Getti said:
Ok so I cleaned up all the oil really well and ran the engine. The oil leak is mysteriously gone. I can't get it to leak again which leads me to think I had the same problem as the guy in that first reply, pcv system problem. I wonder how difficult it is to remedy this? I'm gonna get a block heater also. I'm happybthe head is fine etc... Coolant is very strong also.
RE Coolant heater check out the Pre-Heater & Petrol thread for info.

Dan

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
There is definitely a market for the TDV8 with Pre-Heater in the oh so cold USA winters!! Land Rover are you listening out there :?:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just spoke with a mechanic and told him all about my problem yesterday and he said that the oil I'm running in my engine is too thick(5W50 synthetic) for the extreme cold temps IE -30 celsius. What do you think, do you agree? I'm not an expert on oil.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Getti said:
I just spoke with a mechanic and told him all about my problem yesterday and he said that the oil I'm running in my engine is too thick(5W50 synthetic) for the extreme cold temps IE -30 celsius. What do you think, do you agree? I'm not an expert on oil.
What does your manual say?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I did read that thread and I am 100% sure that is exactly what happened to my engine. Good news is it's warmed up and I'm gonna get a chance to inspect & change the pcv hoses etc. Thanks for the help guys

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
You certainly have a problem with the PCV system. That is exactly what happened to me. I think that the PCV system should be on the top of everyones yearly inspection list. Certainly should be inspected before winter. I did a write up;
http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=347:mkiii-how-to-repair-pcv-parts&catid=50:mkiii-eas-system-data&Itemid=73

My god though yours sprayed alot of oil. I lost a bunch of oil but all of it ran neatly down the side of the valve covers and off the back of the engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts