Range Rovers Forum banner

Oil Drain Plug pitch/thread 00 P38 4.6HSE

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  munichp38a 
#1 ·
Last time I changed oil there was some 'swarf' in the threads of the drain plug- you know the kind telling you that the hole is almost stripped. It's giving me a fairly nice drip now-nothing major but enough to swap it out. I'm NOT going the helical route just now.

Question: What's the thread pitch for the plug? I plan to get one from NAPA that is the slightly oversize plug aka Self Tapping and go that route for now. (yes, I could drain it and take the oldplug in to NAPA and see, but I imagine someone here knows the size so I can buy the new plug beforehand)

OR I've read a couple spots about people using a BMW x5 plug because it is longer and grabs threads left in the pan that the OEM LR bolt doesn't grab. But that was for a different model year and not sure if that works for the 2000 I've got now. (and if so is there a part number to ask for?)

Thoughts/HElp on either subject?
Thanks

#2 ·
X5 plug has nothing to do with P38. That is for L322 issues.

As far as the oversized plugs at your local parts house, just take your plug up there and match it. I seriously doubt anyone here knows the thread and pitch off the top of their head. An option I have used for years is a couple bands of teflon tape on the plug. Keep weak threads sealed and offers just enough bite that the plug doesn;t work loose.

#3 ·
I've rebuilt lord knows how many and have no idea, as I've never stripped one out.
ONLY safe thing is to take the old one with you.

Martin

#5 ·
ROFL!

Martin

#6 ·
The Thor alloy sump plug has a M14x1.5 thread.

If you need to know the length of the hole, I could measure it.
I think the stock plug is longer than the hole in the sump, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sigi

#8 ·
I installed http://www.stahlbus-us.com/oil-drai...us-oil-drain-valve-m14x15x12mm-steel-set.html (that's why I measured the thread and this was one of the reasons for exchanging the steel sump on my GEMS (with its strange thread) with the alloy sump), but it's shorter than the original plug, with an already damaged thread it might be difficult to properly torque it/make it seal without stripping the thread.

The Difflock sump plug is also shorter (11.5mm) than the thread in the sump.

Sigi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.