RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone change out the drain plug every oil change since the gasket is built into it?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Probably not necessary, but they're only $5.

Not sure why LR just can't use a $0.25 crush washer. :roll:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
Buy 4 of them the next time you're there... `)

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Can a crush washer be used in conjunction with the LR drain plug? Next oil-change, I will be doing it my self ...

·
Registered
318 Posts
My oil change last week cost me $83, $7.64 of which was for a new drain plug. Not a big deal but I asked why they change it out every time and he said it's just easier. I don't know what's easier about it since plugs are pretty durable. In all the DIY changes I have done, I ALWAYS use the same plug but replace the crush washer.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
Can a crush washer be used in conjunction with the LR drain plug? Next oil-change, I will be doing it my self ...
I wouldn't. The worst that will happen if you reuse the LR plug too many times is a very slow drip. Which reminds me, I knew a guy with vintage Harleys who once told me he never changed the oil on his bikes, just the filter. It just leaked out of the crankcase over time and he topped it with new.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
This seems like backwards engineering. For years drain plugs have been reusable, and now we have to start buying a new plug each time? I don't care how expensive it is, but that's pretty silly...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts