Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oil/coolant leak between bellhousing and engine.. pic included

as the topic says, i seem to have an oil leak and coolant leak, the fluids are dripping down the bellhousing, is this the sign of a failing headgasket?

thanks

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,225 Posts
It could be - others have had those as symptoms...

Also oil at the rear if the engine could be rocker cover gaskets, valley gasket, rear crankshaft gasket... plenty of places for oil to come from...

I would be more concerned about the coolant though... but once again could be from many places...

I have LPG installed on mine, and there was a slight coolant leak from the junction where they'd T'd the coolant lines to the vapouriser.. a quick tighten up of the hose clamps fixed it. But also there are junctions towards the rear for the heater core... also, I've read where people have had leaks from the throttle plate heater drip back bown the engine.

I also noticed that when draining the coolant to do my water pump, that coolant managed to run all the way from the front of the engine to then drip off the bell housing and auto box... so it's probably worth getting under there, cleaning it all up, and then inspecting from clean to see if you can trace the path where the leak is coming from, or at least a rough area... will be easier to trouble shoot!

Marty

·
Banned
135 Posts
Re: Oil/coolant leak between bellhousing and engine.. pic included

Redlyne, I am in the midst of a head gasket job on my 99SE. Below is a site for a youtube video produced by AtlanticBritish. Ltd, a parts seller for British vehicles. You may find it helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2TYeIQ_cpk

another Washington Rover

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts

The chances of a head gasket failure causing what is pictured above is next to nil. What does rarely leak coolant at the rear of the heads though is the intake/valley gasket. Another option would be the block plugs located on the back side of the block. As far as the oil, or any leak on our rigs, there simply is no way to accurately find a leak on a dirty rig unless it is catastrophic. Clean things up and then start looking for your oil leak. For intance yesterday was another reminder how many times folks think they need new valve cover gaskets only to find the bolts aren't even hand tight. FOlks have thought they need a front main seal or front cover gasget on GEMS only to find that the oil sender recall was not completed or the ORing has failed on the sender.

·
Banned
135 Posts

RRToadHall, What gives you enough information to totally exclude a head gasket? Mine leaked to the rear of the engine and the video expert also talked about a leak there. I am puzzled by your comments.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts

I did not totally exclude, I said close to nil. However my experience with inspecting rigs, repairing them and reading every topic ever posted here shows that folks that first think it's their head gasket leaking to atmosphere at the rear almost always find it's the intake/valley gasket where it meets the top of the head. Form there it seeps/runs down the head surface and appears to be the head gasket leaking. So far I only know of three people that have ever had a failed head gasket lead to the photo posted and all of those were secondary head gasket jobs with poorly torqued bolts or stretch bolts not replaced.

Since several folks have replaced only their valley gasket and solved the issue pictured I would think it's a pretty safe to say this is an option to look at prior to jumping to head gasket conclusions. In addition at least two folks have posted photos of the block plug failure. If you search p38arover's posts for this topic you will see his pictures as an example.

·
Banned
135 Posts

Thank you for your quick response. I think that your more complete explanation not only gives him the "what" to look at, but also the"why" he is looking there. Again, thanks for your response.

·
Registered
11 Posts

This happened to me a month ago and Toad is right. The intake valley gasket was leaking on the left rear although its a one peice gasket. Since the winter I was loosing about 8oz of coolant a month. Then I was smelling coolant burning for a few weeks prior to the obvious leaking. When it properly started leaking its was clear were the coolant was coming from. It worked out because I had to change the coils packs anyway so I knocked out two birds with one stone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts