Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed my oil the other day after 4500 miles and about a year. I decided to use this oil, not because it says it says it's good for 20,000 miles, but because Castrol 5W-30 is the recommended oil for my vehicle. Wow. I don't remember being impressed with an oil before, but with this one I am. My engine is so quiet! I don't believe I've ever noticed that before after an oil change. Of course, I will change it in a year again after 4500 miles or so, but I'm impressed for once. It seems to be one of the better oils I've ever used. I'm not endorsing it, just telling my story.
Fluid Service Metal Liquid Personal care

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover Supercharged L322
229 Posts
I've been using the Castrol Edge High Mileage 5W30 for the last 14k miles. It had a fresh Mobil 1 change when I got it and the difference is definitely noticeable and was almost immediately. With 140k on my 4.2 SC I like the high mileage formula because some of the additives help keep an older motor happy and I do about 30k/yr so a happy motor is important. I change around 7k as that's about when the oil goes from the original clear golden color to a crusty looking brown.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been using the Castrol Edge High Mileage 5W30 for the last 14k miles. It had a fresh Mobil 1 change when I got it and the difference is definitely noticeable and was almost immediately. With 140k on my 4.2 SC I like the high mileage formula because some of the additives help keep an older motor happy and I do about 30k/yr so a happy motor is important. I change around 7k as that's about when the oil goes from the original clear golden color to a crusty looking brown.
My RR has a little over 94k miles on it now, and I only put around 4500 to 5000 miles a year on it now. Even though I don't put many miles on it, I'll change it once a year. I think that's more than adequate. Oil technology has come a long way!

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover Supercharged L322
229 Posts
My RR has a little over 94k miles on it now, and I only put around 4500 to 5000 miles a year on it now. Even though I don't put many miles on it, I'll change it once a year. I think that's more than adequate. Oil technology has come a long way!
Yes, for your extended time between changes the formula in the gold bottle is most likely the better choice as it shouldn't break down as quickly. Most manufacturers seem to recommend 6 months or XXXX miles.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
418 Posts
I've been using this one for a few years now.

Reactions: sb53

·
Registered
267 Posts
I only used Castrol in my Lexus and it was fantastic. Right now I use it in my 7 series and it does great in that as well. For the Rover on my next change I plan on giving Amsoil a try. But thank you for sharing the positive experience of Castrol paired with the Jag engine.

Reactions: sb53
1 - 6 of 6 Posts