RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I read that vacuuming removes more than the old-school drain method, but according to my little test last night, that wasn't exactly true. I think that I did everything per LR procedure, but feel free to chime in if you disagree:

- warmed up the oil by running the truck for 10 mins
- loosened up the filter and removed oil filler cap
- connected my MityVac to the tube under the oil cap
- i pumped little by little as the oil got sucked out until it stopped (30 or so pumps over 7-10 minutes)
- at that point i got under, removed the skid plate (those bolts were TIGHT), and removed the drain plug
- when i removed the plug, some more oil came out. At the end i poured it into an empty bottle and it measured just shy of 1/4 qt (0.236 L)

Only thing that i am not sure if i did correctly was the vacuuming. I pumped little by little, then once the oil stopped flowing, i pumped some more, then again and so. What surprised me is that i saw a lot of air (through the clear hose) as the oil was being vacuumed, not sure if that had anything to do with it? Maybe I didn't build enough pressure to vacuum that last 1/4 qt? Although, my thinking tells me that the issue is that the little tube under the oil cap doesn't reach the very bottom of the pan, it probably stops about a 0.25" or so before it touches. So that is probably the little bit that i drained via the plug.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,443 Posts
I did it the other way around. I drained the oil from below and then hooked up an electric transfer pump from above and was able to suck an additional quarter to third of a quart out. The pump sucks some air toward the end but oil is still coming out. That's a lot of work pumping 9 quarts or whatever out by hand.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
112 Posts
Really wasn't bad, at all actually. How'd you do it if not by hand? Are there electric versions of these evacuation pumps?

And i forgot to mention, i only got about 7.25L out with the pump + the 0.25L via plug, yet my level was at MAX every time i checked it on the dash....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts