RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Awesome video!:clap: Thank you for posting this.
Purchased a 2011 CPO and do all my own work on our vehicles. I posted a question and joined a year ago making sure I could do my own work on these awesome vehicles. Our nearest dealer is 2 hours away!!
Just confirming the LR4 engine and the RRS sport regarding the oil change are the same?
Thanks to Canrover for the info on the tube.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
797 Posts
Hey Umberto, since using the suction method have you done ANY under the car oil changes?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Heck no! :D In my case, I would also need to unbolt and remove a fairly bulky and heavy Asfir aftermarket skid plate to get to the drain plug, which would make an under-the-car oil change even more of a chore than the average.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
Super video, thanks. Bought the MytiVac, used a 90mm wrench; 15 minutes start to finish including five minute warm up and one minute dump to a recycle container. One partly dirty paper towel.

Incredible. 9 liters out, nine (8.5 qts) back in Castrol Titanium. Not counting the one time cost of the pump and wrench -- $88 at Advanced Auto (Puralator filter).

Just saved my youngest son a few hunded changing his 2013 BMW v8. Getting my monies worth: oldest son's Highlander yesterday; maybe wife's Maxima (04) tomorrow via dipstick.

What a neat tool!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I tried to do this on my '06 4.4 v8 hse - could only get 1/2 the oil out - does dipstick tube placement preclude this on that model - or did anyone have success ? Also used mityvac

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Did you just connect to dipstick tube or did you use one of the supplied smaller tubes and run it down the dipstick hole into oil pan? There are smaller hoses that come with it that you slide down into oil pan to use auction method

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hey Umberto,

I just did my second oil change and there is one thing I'd like to warn everyone about that is not in your DIY vid. The little metal tube that you stick the suction hose into seems quite delicate. When you stick the hose on it, yes it is a perfect snug fit but since the hose runs down the car and into the reservoir it puts a little bit of lateral pressure on the delicate metal tube. Over time the tube can crack rendering it useless. My remedy is to wedge in a bit of paper towel between the metal tube and the sides of the access port to keep it from being moved as the hose sucks the oil out.
Just changed my oil today and thought I'd take this photo to show how I keep the suction tube from moving to the side.

Attachments

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
As long as that paper towel "bumper" doesn't break and/or move and fall into the oil cap opening while you aren't looking... Personally, I have never felt like I was putting that much pressure on the suction pipe when connecting the rubber fitting to it, it's a small pipe but doesn't look that delicate to me. However, as shown in the video I always leave the fitting attached to the plastic hose from the Mightvac when I connect or disconnect it from that pipe, last thing I want to do is fumble the little sucker and watch it disappear into that dark opening (things get slippery in that area, so... Murphy's Law.)

·
Registered
797 Posts
That doesn't really worry me but I do fear a small piece of tissue coming loose so I just make sure to krumple it up tight so no fibers come loose.

As for the thin tube I find it's too delicate for my taste hence the tissue.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts