RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use a Klein strap wrench - it works great on all my vehicles!
Never had a problem since switching from all kinds of contraptions. :)

Max

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have two hang ups when it come to wrenching on my own cars. One, I have never done any of my own work so I know for a fact I don't have any experience. And two, from a lifetime of experience dealing with myself I know that I am short of patience.

I ultimately worry that my inexperience will frustrate me, cause a loss of patience, and an inevitable adult temper tantrum. Never a proud moment.

This video is idiot proof. Thanks for posting. And thanks to LR engineers for placing the oil filter in such an easy to reach location.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I use a Klein strap wrench - it works great on all my vehicles!
Never had a problem since switching from all kinds of contraptions. :)

Max
I also have a strap wrench with a METAL cuff that I have used on all my cars but I have yet to do an oil change on the RR. Does anyone know if the metal cuff would be too hard on the plastic housing? I'm always gentle but all the filters I've ever worked on have been metal up to this point.

GREAT VIDEO UMBERTO!!!

For those of us in Canada, here are the links to the tools needed:

Mityvac 7201 - http://www.amazon.ca/Mityvac-7201-Fluid-Evacuator-Plus/dp/B0002SR7TC/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428524084&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=mightyvac+7201

89mm 15 flute oil wrench that Umbertob recommends after noting that 90mm has a lot of play: http://www.amazon.ca/89mm-Inside-Flute-Filter-Wrench/dp/B00LURR1BS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1428524311&sr=8-5&keywords=89mm+oil+wrench

Attachments

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
I'm confused and a little bit concerned. You say that the sump holds 8 quarts (which I work out to be 7.5 litres) but you only put 3 back in? Does this mean that you actually only removed less than half of the old oil? You also checked the level before starting the engine so the oil filter and housing will be empty and that holds another half litre which is why you should always fill with the correct amount of oil, run the engine for a few seconds, switch off and allow to stand and then top up to the correct level.

I'm all for making life easy but by sucking the oil out the top you aren't draining any sludge that may have started to build up in the sump (admittedly, using Mobil 1 you shouldn't get any but it all depends on how the car is used). If that is allowed to build up then it will clog the pickup strainer in the sump and lead to reduced oil flow. Exactly what happened on the older Saab 9-3 and 9-5 engines which caused Saab to have to offer an 8 year, unlimited mileage warranty on engines and turbos and replace thousands free of charge that were affected. Me, I'll carry on doing it properly, there's a sump drain plug there for a reason.

·
Registered
795 Posts
It hold 8.8 litres as per the Amazon link I provided above. Good point about the sump though.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I'm confused and a little bit concerned. You say that the sump holds 8 quarts (which I work out to be 7.5 litres) but you only put 3 back in?
Huh? I'd be concerned too if that was the case... But if you are talking about my video, it says clearly that approximately 8 quarts were vacuumed out by the pump and 8 went back in (the dry sump should hold 8 liters), I even took a shot of 8 empty Mobil 1 bottles to make sure I drove my point across! :lol: And yes, I did check the level before starting the engine to insure it was about right, but I also did say I would let the engine run a few minutes, shut it off, wait the required 15 minutes or so (Land Rover's electronic oil level gauge doesn't let you check oil level until approximately 15-20 minutes have passed since the engine was turned off - we all miss the good old dipstick, but what can you do?) and check the gauge one more time to make sure the level was still within the "OK" range. As far as sludge, no I am not overly concerned with synthetic. I am also willing to bet you that, within a relatively short number of years, Land Rover will eliminate the drain plug entirely. Jaguar already did AFAIK, and they use the same engines.

·
Registered
795 Posts
IMHO sludge should not be a problem so long as you change the oil two or three times a year depending on your driving habits. I only put a little over 10,000kms a year so I change mine every spring and fall.

This time around, I may just bite the bullet and let the dealer do it so they don't have an out in the event of another warranty issue.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Has anyone tried the suction method with an 06 HSE?

I have the same tools that umbertob suggested (modified for the 06 of course) and was only able to pump out 2L or so of oil. Taking a break before I go out and finish the old fashion way unless someone has some advice.

Thanks

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
This would be nice if it works on the 06, as taking off my underbody shield every time to do an oil change is the one step I hate to do...kindly let us know if it ultimately works?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,672 Posts
Something to keep in mind is that most dip stick tubes only go into the block far enough to hold them in place. These dip stick tubes don;t go all the way to the bottom of the sump thus don't allow for all of the oil to be extracted. Some pumps have a hose that can be snaked through the dip stick tube into the sump but are painfully slow due to their much smaller diameter.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I was going to suggest if the OP had already tried the smaller hose that comes with the Mityvac pump (a fitting / adapter for it is included), as I also believe the larger 3/8" pipe used for extraction on the 5-liter engine would be too large in diameter to make it through the dipstick tube of the older engines, all the way down to the bottom of the sump.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I did try the smallest of the hoses that came with the Mityvac. I tried pushing it far down as I could - without using any excessive force. If there is a thinner, more flexible hose I'll try that also.

You still have to take the smaller shield off to get to the oil filter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like the idea but there will still be a bunch of junk in the pan that the pump is not getting out. Gravity is the only way to get that out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nice video umbertob. Never realized the suction method was way easier.
Now i want a new LR.

·
Registered
795 Posts
So I just got my MightyVac and anxious to get started but I thought I'd watch Umberto's Vid one last time...... I've seen this vid so many times but this time it sounds like Count Dracula is giving the tutorial. 4 hours of sleep does that to you.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hey Umberto,

I just did my second oil change and there is one thing I'd like to warn everyone about that is not in your DIY vid. The little metal tube that you stick the suction hose into seems quite delicate. When you stick the hose on it, yes it is a perfect snug fit but since the hose runs down the car and into the reservoir it puts a little bit of lateral pressure on the delicate metal tube. Over time the tube can crack rendering it useless. My remedy is to wedge in a bit of paper towel between the metal tube and the sides of the access port to keep it from being moved as the hose sucks the oil out.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts