RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
two problems, one cause, maybe failed pcv?..

I'm confused....bought this 2003 RR with 75k miles almost three months ago. Its been interesting, learning a lot. Like a dead battery locks the wheels and replacing the alternator means no more eating out for a month but "enjoying" Ramen. Also, learned anything I have to buy from the dealership requires more than just all my money, but my first born.

problem one: Its been below freezing lately when starting and now getting the "check coolant level" noticed that after engine has warmed, can turn off the rover and start again, no more warnings. This also doesnt happen on warm mornings, only when cold start below 40 degrees.
Problem two: ive been replacing ignition coils as they fail. #7 was first, then #8 a few weeks ago, and now #4. Noticed there was oil around #4.

first pic I had replaced #7, but not 8 yet, its dark.
seccond pic is other bank
Third is oil around #4, oil isnt anywhere else!

thoughts? suggestions? just blow it up? WP_20141030_18_52_01_Pro.jpg WP_20141126_17_09_19_Pro.jpg WP_20141126_17_27_07_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,947 Posts
to fix the oil leaks you need new cam cover gaskets,
blow the oil out of the wells and clean off the coils so they are oil free,

consider getting the cam cover recoated with fresh powder coating,
this will also include grit blasting them first to provide a good sealing surface for the new gaskets.

Top up the coolant reservoir consider doing the M60 lower temp modification

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to fix the oil leaks you need new cam cover gaskets,
blow the oil out of the wells and clean off the coils so they are oil free,

consider getting the cam cover recoated with fresh powder coating,
this will also include grit blasting them first to provide a good sealing surface for the new gaskets.

Top up the coolant reservoir consider doing the M60 lower temp modification
Ill try that! did locate the shop that replaced the valve cover gasket not too long ago. Is the cam same as valve cover gasket?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
67 Posts
MrMerlin makes a good suggestion on re-powerder coating, but if you are on a budget you can do a good scrub of the covers, followed by sanding the sealing surfaces. Of course you'll still have the peeling coating on the outside, but we can just say it adds character. Make sure if you choose to sand the sealing surfaces you incrementally work your way up from ~200 to 1000 grit with a flat rigid block for a very smooth sealing surface. And yes, I believe RAVE calls these cam covers, BMW groups call them valve covers.

If topping off the fluid doesn't resolve your issue, it could also be related to concentration, so make sure to use 50/50 coolant and not just water for topping off.

Good Luck,
-Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts