RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home in my 1991 Classic and shredded the OE LR belt a couple of days ago. OK fine, stop at Autozone on battery power and slide new belt on. Fine for a day, and then it snaps again. I thought I did something wrong.. Went a bit looser on the tension for this belt, shredded again.

Found an old thread saying genuine LR is only way to go, nervous to buy anything online because what if it doesn't work..

What are you all using? For now keeping 2 new belts with me....

·
Registered
366 Posts
I am correct in presuming this is a v-belt you are shredding?

My barn find 83 had some old belts fitted which I run for a short while. When I changed the alternator I changed the one belt with Gator and has been fine for 2000-odd miles and still looks like new. The AC and PS belts are still the originals and look good also. I don't think they are LR originals.

So I don't think there anything magical about LR belts. You must have an issues with your pulleys, alignment or maybe you purchased the wrong width belts? Belts are typically marked with width _ length all in mm. The width is the widest part which is the same width as the widest inside of your pulley groove. A correct width belt rides flush with the pulley outsider. The alternator belt is typically 10mm wide with the AC/PS 13mm wide

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check both the width of the new belt, and the alignment of the pulleys.

Is there any wrong way to tension the alternator? I’ve been pulling against it and tightening until no more bounce in it when running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looked at pulleys, seems as though they are perfect. Alternator also spins freely.

The new belt is slightly thinner than the pulley, from what I’ve now read it should be a the same width as the pulley.

I ordered a new belt from the dealer.. hopefully that will fix it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts