RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the dumbest thing yesterday. I had my left rear wheel off to have some curb rash repaired. So I was jacking the car up to put the wheel back on.

And I aligned my jack to the wrong darn hole underneath the truck. Yep, the hole (why is it there?) on the cover of the air compressor. As I was jacking the car up, the bracket holding the air compressor crushed and broke. Uh oh.

I didn't have time diagnose last night, but it was working fine albeit noisy. This morning I took the cover off and discovered that the compressor was fine as were the lines. But the bracket was broken in many pieces. I got the bracket from the dealer today and installed it ($100 part.)

All is well. I consider myself lucky that I didn't break the compressor. That would have cost me much more money.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,456 Posts
Re: Oh no, I am the DA of the Day. While jacking my car up ...

texas993 said:
I did the dumbest thing yesterday. I had my left rear wheel off to have some curb rash repaired. So I was jacking the car up to put the wheel back on.

And I aligned my jack to the wrong darn hole underneath the truck. Yep, the hole (why is it there?) on the cover of the air compressor. As I was jacking the car up, the bracket holding the air compressor crushed and broke. Uh oh.

I didn't have time diagnose last night, but it was working fine albeit noisy. This morning I took the cover off and discovered that the compressor was fine as were the lines. But the bracket was broken in many pieces. I got the bracket from the dealer today and installed it ($100 part.)

All is well. I consider myself lucky that I didn't break the compressor. That would have cost me much more money.
Another good example of why the scissor jack is not advisable, best to get a floor jack...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

PJPR01 said:
Another good example of why the scissor jack is not advisable, best to get a floor jack...

I never used the jack supplied in the car. I have a floor jack and that is what I used. I was just sloppy and lined it up to the wrong "hole". Look under there sometime and you will see the similarities.

BTW, the is the first body of frame vehicle that I have ever had. One of the benefits is definitely ease of jacking and placement of jack stands. Much harder to find place on unit body vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts

PJPR01 said:
That's a great find there Eric...going to get one of those as well...anything that elevates the compressor a bit farther up is worthwhile.
I knew you'd like it! PJ: "I'll take one of everything please." :wink: Seriously though, that is a good insurance buy, I'm assuming it will fit.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts

If you guys all had Off Roving's rock sliders on your RRS, you wouldn't have any of these silly jacks, compressors and brackets problems... :lol:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,456 Posts

umbertob said:
If you guys all had Off Roving's rock sliders on your RRS, you wouldn't have any of these silly jacks, compressors and brackets problems... :lol:
Oh...but that takes all the fun out of trying to find the right line knowing you can bang around all day long on sliders! :D

Eric - I'm actually exchanging mails with hi Country...quite interested in that gas tank skid plate as well...maybe even the transfer case item...just awaiting confirmation if they bolt into the same spots on the RRS as the LR3...

OP - I feel for you, but the little hole shouldn't be the location for jacking, but live and learn, it's just mechanical stuff...no big deal, have spent plenty of time looking up at the under carriage of the vehicle while it's on the rack....fascinating stuff in there.

By the way Umberto, I'm sure you've seen OR's new setup of "city sliders"...but unfortunately they're not ready for prime time yet on the RRS. The other ones are just too heavy for my taste although they are superb quality and do exactly what they're supposed to, no doubt, but carrying around an additional 180 lbs of sliders day in and day out just for those few rock crawling trips is too much baggage for me.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts

umbertob said:
Troof. :cry:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts