RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had my rover about a month now, key fob has never worked, swapped batteries out about a week or 2 ago hoping that would solve the issue, it didn't, and I have been locking/unlocking it with the key in the door the entire time I've owned it, well today I came out of the store went to unlock it, opened the door and the alarm started going off and immobilizer would not allow me to start the vehicle. Disconnected the battery a couple times (i was at the store, didn't think it would help, but thought i would try anyways). Finally after cursing at it and threatening to set it on fire it decided to co-operate, used the key in the door a couple times and the alarm quit and I was able to start the vehicle. Now, until this issue is solved i won't lock it anymore. I've been told its probably the keyfob (as it is in terrible shape) but after seeing the stories of people getting the wrong keys from dealer and being charged a small fortune, i really don't want to get another key anytime soon. Is there anyway to disable immobilizer and alarm? I would like to lock my vehicle when its parked at the store!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
No there is no way to disable the immobilizer. Some say that setting the BECM to the Australia market will do the trick. But this has not been confirmed. I have a friend who did this on his first rover but never had the chance to test the theroy. That car has since gone to the heavens where all good Rangi's go of course! `8) He is coming over in a couple of weeks with a couple of the guys and were planing on spending a good deal of time testing a few different theories .

Scotty

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If you set it to Gulf Countries it will partially disable the system. You won't need an EKA, so that makes the whole thing a bit easier.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the same car. It has happened to me once. The remote key is inconsistent. If the alarm goes off just stick it back in the drivers door and it will stop.
You should still lock it and not worry about it.. Its called know your rangy!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Peter can you be more specific, what does it mean when you say you won't need the EKA code?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you set it to Gulf Countries it will partially disable the system. You won't need an EKA, so that makes the whole thing a bit easier.
How would one go about doing this? How do you change the setting?

I have the same car. It has happened to me once. The remote key is inconsistent. If the alarm goes off just stick it back in the drivers door and it will stop.
I'm trying, its a bit of a learning curve though, last several vehicles i have owned were volkswagens and I can pretty much pinpoint any issues with vagcom.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
This is quite misleading and may be incorrect information for the OP. The main reason people end up in this situation is due to ignoring warning signs and not maintaining a working remote. The key is only a back up for the remote and the remote is a back up for the key. Folks think it is no big deal to run around with no operating remote. This may very well be fine until you start having latch issues. Once you have a failed/failing latch, as the OP appears to have, there is no quick fix. If indeed your latch is failing no amount of "just stick it back in" is going to solve the issue. It does no good to stick it back in if the latch doesn't recognize that it is in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts