RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some searching I decided to give up and just make a new thread regarding offroading with low-profile tires. I am in the market for a 2003-05 Range and one that I have found to be particularly nice has 22" wheels on it. I do think that 22's can look good on a Range if done correctly, but much larger than that and it starts to get ridiculous. I cannot find any information (primary source) regarding offroading with 22's. I understand that you cannot go rock crawling or do serious offroading with such large wheels, but does anyone know how well they will hold up to light expedition style offroading; I do not offroad for recreation but sometimes I have to go places that do not have roads (obviously), or if they do, they are fairly rough, class IV or V roads. This brings me into my next question

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people put 35 sidewall tires on Ranges when 40 series clearly fit quite easily. Now, coming from a car with 285/75/16's on it, I do not do too well with low profile tires on SUV's. I have heard that the MKIII Range can fit 32" tires, is this true? Would a 285/45/22 fit, as that measures around 32.1", and would give me a little more sidewall for strength, and it would look better. If said tire will fit (will it?), does anyone know if 22's (2 or 3pc forged) can hold up to light offroading?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The big prob is, there are no real off road tires avail in those sizes. The other prob is that off road tires need to be compliant to adhere to obstacles. A tire with a low aspect ratio can't do that as there is no rubber to comply to anything. Tires w/low aspect ratios were designed not to be compliant so that sports cars could settle into a corner more quickly n- they were not designed for SUV's. And they sell well to the bling crowd.

Decide if you want to drive or cruise and purchase accordingly.

If you are seriously into off roading your RR, search. There are several really good threads.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had a 09 RRSS with 20 inch wheels and it was a disaster off road, a couple of flats, bent the wheel, etc all on relatively easy roads. My solution was to get an 10 RR Lux version, switch the 20 inch wheels to 19 inch so it would except off road ties. This thing will climb a brick wall if I ask it. You can not go the 19 inch route with the SC this year or next years diesel because of the bigger brakes.

It seems you will have to modify the RR's with 20's if your going to do any serious off roading, it can be a long walk home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am aware of the shortcomings of a lower profile tire offroad. There are quite a few true All-Terrain tires in 285/45/22. I understand that serious offroading cannot be done, but those tires measure around 32.1", so I would have to imagine that a little bit of expedition style offroading could be done, or am I wrong. I know that a 22" wheel presents more problems with a lower profile tire than a 20" wheel because of the added wheel size to aspect ratio, ratio. I guess my main question is if anyone knows if a 285/45/22 will fit on the Range?

Thanks for the responses.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Just because a manufacturer slaps an A/T label on a 22" tire, gives it an exotic name and a sculpted tread, it doesn't mean your Range Rover will magically rise above all the serious drawbacks that any 3-ton vehicle with so little rubber between you and the road would run into when the pavement ends. Listen to the advice other forum members are giving you and don't do it. You might be able to get by on smooth-as-silk dirt or gravel roads (then again, a regular street tire could probably negotiate those surfaces), but if the trail becomes the least bit graded or rutted you are eventually going to break something with your fancy 22" rims and 45 profile "all-terrain" tires - starting with your teeth! `) A Range Rover is just too heavy to go over anything other than asphalt and the occasional pothole or railroad track with 22" rims (and you are right, 32" in diameter is just about as large as you can go without mods and little or no rubbing. In fact, that's pushing it. 31.5" would be safer.)

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
I bought some cooper ltz tires for the factory 20 inch wheels -

http://www.coopertires.com/html/product ... sorttype=P

and they do very well off road - 275/45/20 - diameter is virtually the same as stock and everything fits. if i do turn all the way left or right the tires do rub on the inner wheel well - but only in access mode or on the bump stops - so watch your width. I would think the 22 inch of this version would be OK as well - just mind the full left and right hand turns when in the lowest settings as it will rub for sure on factory offset wheels - of course depending on your AM wheels wheels offset they may not rub.

No bent wheels or the such and very quiet ride here. However if it were me 20 inch would not be my preference - i would go 18 or 19, but the 20 inch set came together for 900 total wheels and tires so i didn't want to get too picky.

JH

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
You will get stuck, your fancy 22" wheels will get all scuffed up and ruined... Then you'll likely have to swallow your pride and ask a jeep for help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts