RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Any places in Colorado where a amateur can drive up by themselves and get to decent offroad elevations and scenic locations.

Planning a roadtrip in September and was wondering if anyone can help with that, would be really appreciated.

Thanks ...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oh where do I even start. Start by goggling 4WD, Colorado passes. There are a series of books called Colorado Trails with 3 books covering the whole state. My personal favorite is Mosquito Pass between Leadville and Fairplay, one of the highest passes in North America at over 13,000 ft.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will try that,thanks - was wondering if any folks on the forum had 1st had experience rather than another source

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
There's plenty. I've only been there for the '09 Rally, but we did Leadville. Here's a large list: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php

I've done the following trails here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33167

Of those I'd not do Halfmoon alone, though it was easy, I could see the water being trouble if you are alone and not experienced. Birdseye is doable as you can skip the mud pit (usually I've read) but it's a little rocky in sections if you don't have 18s. The other ones are pretty non eventful in terms of obstacles, but great views.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
I have only been wheeling in Colorado once - around Ouray for 4 or 5 days - and you can't go wrong, any trail up there ranges from spectacular to amazing, especially the passes. You'll love every minute. The particular trails I went on I would not want to repeat by myself though (some were challenging and definitely required a spotter, but due to the high puke factor at those altitudes, even the easier trails can be intimidating in places.) PJPR01, Boaz, Off Roving are all forum members here and have been up there multiple times, so hopefully they will chime in with some scenic and "easy" suggestions.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
You rang!?

So...Umberto is right on target, but I also heartily endorse getting the Colorado Trails book as well as ChipN has suggested, it has all of the trails rated by section of the state and by category of difficulty. In addition, it makes great reading before the trip too.

Imogene Pass coming out of Telluride is easy, with spectacular views (2nd highest trail right behind Mosquito pass - very easy also), heading up over the range back to Ouray is very doable...some pucker factor on narrow shelf roads, and a few rather spectacular shots to choose from. Ophir pass just outside Silverton on the way to Ouray will detour you over the mountains to Telluride. This has a very long narrow shelf road, so watch for oncoming traffic before heading out.

Around Buena Vista - Cottonwood pass, Tincup and surrounding nearby trails are super easy, great scenery as well.

If you're inexperienced...stay away from Poughkeepsie Gulch, Black Bear Pass, Pearl Pass or Halfmoon...

A few pics to whet your appetite:

Imogene Pass

Imogene Pass

Mosquito Pass:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
something to get you in the mood (for the trip)...

[youtube:jviajr94]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP7Chi9MPSg&feature=related[/youtube:jviajr94]

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks every for your responses. Mosquito Pass seems to be the most commonly talked about and may do that. The pictures and site do make you want to head out there asap.

I going to take the inexperienced routes, and pop the RRS's cherry, and hopefully will get into the full swing, hot and heavy offroading after the 1st experience :). Goosey's music is loaded into the iPod and ready to set the mood.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
Thanks every for your responses. Mosquito Pass seems to be the most commonly talked about and may do that.
Sounds great, take pictures!

Anyway I'm not sure how Mosquito Pass got its name, but I wonder if you need to bring some bug spray?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,468 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
Thanks every for your responses. Mosquito Pass seems to be the most commonly talked about and may do that.
Sounds great, take pictures!

Anyway I'm not sure how Mosquito Pass got its name, but I wonder if you need to bring some bug spray?
Dry as a bone up there at 13000 feet...too thin air for the mosquitos to stay airborne.

`)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Imogene and Mosquito would have been my recommendations for easy trails with great scenery. Mosquito is the highest passable road in North America. There are other roads that go higher, but you have to turn around and come down the same way you went up. Here's a couple photos to add to the mix.

A partial list of other trails in the Ouray, CO area.

Black Bear

Poughkeepsie

Imogene

·
Registered
117 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
something to get you in the mood (for the trip)...

[youtube:xzpzzdj2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP7Chi9MPSg&feature=related[/youtube:xzpzzdj2]

We have medical pot here now, if that helps.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
TripleE said:
Boaz said:
It's usually pretty windy up there.
You don't say...
Good thing you are holding on to him 3E, he could blow away like a styrofoam cup up there.

ChipN said:
We have medical pot here now, if that helps.
[youtube:3tbcpsxy]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BRZkupyURw[/youtube:3tbcpsxy]

I'll bring the Funyuns.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There are plenty of dispensaries in Leadville. But be careful Frisco Tex, your used to sea level. Smoking that stuff at 13,000 ft and you might meet John Denver.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Frisco_TX_RRS said:
Thanks every for your responses. Mosquito Pass seems to be the most commonly talked about and may do that. The pictures and site do make you want to head out there asap.

I going to take the inexperienced routes, and pop the RRS's cherry, and hopefully will get into the full swing, hot and heavy offroading after the 1st experience :). Goosey's music is loaded into the iPod and ready to set the mood.

Hey Frisco,
Did you make the trip? I also live in Frisco and am planning a trip to CO towards the beginning of November. I too, am new to whole offroading thing (in a LR that is). I would say inexperienced, and just looking for some great views and some dirt (IE: not mud like in TX).
I'm not looking for anything super technical, or potentially vehicle damaging. I will be going on my road tires, so hopefully some of these passes will be ok.

Would love to hear how your trip went, and the experience in your LR.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts