RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Iam new to this forum, just got my 2006 rrs a few weeks ago.
Iam from the netherlands, so it is possible that my english typing is not always 100%.

Befor the sport i had a discovery3, but i couldnt resist the looks of the sport :roll:

I want to go offroad with the car, do i need some modifications to keep the car in one piece.

Tx
Sander

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Very nice and welcome. The RRS is 99% as capable offroad as the Disco 3. The first thing holding it back is the tires. I'm not sure what you have on the other side of the pond, but for the HSE in USA, we have to use 18" wheels as anything smaller will not clear the brake caliper. Disco 3 18s fit perfects and we typically use a 285/60/18 A/T tire. There are a few threads around on the Cooper Zeon LTZs and Nitto Terra Grapplers that a bunch of us use for offroading. You can get real serious and go for the 275/65/18 Goodyear MTR, but that is a touch bigger and will rub a bit more. I've seen Disco 3s running them but usually they have a "rod mod" lift kit.

EDIT: Can't actually tell if you're in the US now or not... :?:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

There are Goodyear wrangler tyres on the car right now (18inch).
I prefer bigger ones but are these goodyears good for now, so is it good enough for offroading.

sander

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey triplee,

What do you mean by " 18" wheels as anything smaller will not clear the brake caliper " .
Remember iam a dutch guy, sometimes its hard to understand technical stuff :oops:

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
baccocafe said:
Any wheels that's smaller than 18 inch will NOT fit on your car because your brake is big
Yes, this right here! Thanks baccocafe. :thumb: For USA Sports (HSE), we received bigger brakes than some of the European models. The HSE for USA cannot use any wheel smaller than 18 inches. The S/C for USA cannot use any wheel smaller than 19 inches.

Are you in Texas sarosaro? Or was "Tx" for thanks?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hehe... no i live in the netherlands ! not in the us.
But this a great forum so i thought lets register. I assume that your cars are not very different from the european cars ?!

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Ah ok! There are some minor difference besides the engine offerings. In the USA, we only get the 4.4 N/A or the 4.2 S/C. This is for '06-'09. So sometimes there is a little confusion on wheel sizes and what fits because some of the European models could use 17 inch wheels, but we (USA) cannot. There are not a lot of choices for 18 inch wheels and bigger that will fit our Sports.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm, any suggestions for 18 or 19 inch weels.
The profile on my tyres (goodyear wrangler) are not really offroad.
The profile on my defender tyres (grabber) is verry big, really offroad.

Is it possible to fit real offroad tyres on a sport.

tx
sander

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
sarosaro said:
hmm, any suggestions for 18 or 19 inch weels.
The most popular is the Disco 3 18 inch wheel (18x8). They fit perfectly.

sarosaro said:
The profile on my tyres (goodyear wrangler) are not really offroad.
What model? The most popular "off-road" tires we use here that fit are the ones I mentioned. Cooper Zeon LTZ or Nitto Terra Grapplers; 285/60/18. This size will rub slightly under full compression in the rear wheel well.

A more agressive option is to use the Goodyear MTR - 275/65/18. This is a little larger and will rub quite a bit more. I have seen a couple Disco 3 guys use these, but they use lift kits, so you'd probably need one too.

sarosaro said:
The profile on my defender tyres (grabber) is verry big, really offroad.
Post pics!!! My dream is to have a Defender and Sport. :thumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The defender is still in my collection. The p38 :crybaby2: is on the car graveyard. And range sport is for sure in my collection.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Oh my lord. :thumb: :thumb: The Defender is awesome! Those tires look perfect, what size?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks.

for the defender i have almost every size in my garage !! but the defender is only a 2 person car.
I dont know if you guys have that in the US, its a car bought on my enterprise so its cheaper in tax :eek:

Because i have kids its not that easy to drive with, but its fun offroading !!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
sarosaro said:
I dont know if you guys have that in the US
The US only got Defenders from 1994-1997. :crybaby2: So they are very rare and hold their value.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really ??? why is that, my defender is model 2005. So in the us their are no new defenders for sale ??
I must say they also keep their value here in the netherlands, but all the landrovers are keeping their value over here.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
It was US safety regulations. It was going to cost LR too much to get the truck up to US spec, so they just said no. /:(

·
Registered
83 Posts
wondering - will that 285/60/18 A/T wheel/tire set up also work on a 2010 RRS HSE? not sure if there would be any differences for the '10 that might stand in the way?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
My understanding is that 18" OEM rims no longer fit over the larger brakes of 2010 HSEs, 19" is the smallest OEM wheel that will work. /:(

·
Registered
83 Posts
OK, that's what i thought - guess that will definitely limit the AT options for me - off to do some more research. thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts