RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a lot of searching and bouncing around my questions are still not answered...

SO I want to make this the official tire/wheel thread.

Please post pictures if you have them.

The intent is to let others know what you have done.

And what size wheels you have used including the offset <<<this is important.

The way the ET works for our trucks is,
the lower the number the further away from the from the hub surface the outer edge of the rim will be.

So for an ET of 58 the outer rim edge will be closer to the hub surface as compared to a rim with the same diameter and width with a lower ET of 40 for example.

As an example OZ makes a nice 5 spoke wheel for the RR HSE its 20 X 9.5 ET 40 (Canyon ST in matte graphite silver)

using a 275/55-20 tire may have issues with the outer edge of the tire hitting the front or rear wheel wells ,
BUT thats not been proven yet

Stock 20 inch rims for the 2005 Range Rover HSE are 20 X 8.5 ET 58

Upgrade factory Range Rover Sport wheels are 20 x 9.5 ET 53
Some owners are fitting these wheels to the RR HSE as the ET is Less 53

Also if you would post exactly what size tires and any other modifications you have done and your driving experiences

So.............the questions i have are,

I want to install new Bridgstone Revo tires in size 275/55-20 on my stock 2005 RR HSE LUX wheels the wheels are 20 X 8.5 ET 58 Will they fit?

As a second idea I would like to install these tires 275/55-20 Revos on the OZ Canyon ST wheels with the 20 x 9.5 ET of 40, but I dont know if they will fit correctly

Please add any info that you have first hand knowledge of this fitment.

I know the 275/55-20 tires are taller and will reduce the pulling power some as well as change the fuel mileage thats OK.
I want good tires for the snow and offroad and street driving.
I have had these tires on a few other vehicles and was happy with their performance.

I had a set of Revos on my 2004 Disco in size 245/65-16 and they were awesome. Yes I had 16 inch RR wheels on the Disco, I swapped out the 18in Hurricanes

I also had a set of Revos on my 1986 LC FJ60 245/75-15 they were also great tires lots of miles and would go great in the snow or offroad and gave a smooth noise free ride on road

Thanks for you time, Stan

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well after more searching it looks like i found a tire that will work .
265/50-20 Nitto Terra Grappler it will fit on a factory RR HSE 20 Lux wheel.
The spare will also fit into the spare tire well.

The 285/50 tires look good on your truck,
BUT since you used a wider rim the tire is now further out from where it was stock so you will have more chance for rock chips in the sides of the truck.

That said your rim is wider by 1 inch or 25.5 mm and your offset has decreased by 5mm so half of 25.5 call it 26 is 13 minus 5 = 8mm, this is how much closer to the front shock your new rim is to the shock,
and 13 + 5 = 18mm is the further out from stock of your new wheel tire package
NOTE the factory wheel is a 20 X 8.5 ET 58
New wheel on your truck is a 20 X 9.5 ET 53

black is easy to touchup though

·
Registered
888 Posts
Isn't it interesting, so much talk of tires and wheels because of the difficulty in finding some reasonably priced.

Will these wheels fit my 04?
Would a 275/55 be okay for the tire size?

Wheel Description/Size:
20 x 8-1/2
9-Spokes
5-lug, 120mm Bolt Pattern
58mm offset
72.56mm Center bore
Flat Black Finish

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have Toyo Open Country AT 275/55/20 on 9,5x20" with ET 53, it´s a perfect fit.
The only thing I´d to modify was a "bump" in the rear right wheel well, I used a hot
air gun to heat the plastic proper and just pushed the bump in about 3/8".
1,5 -2" lift will make it look even better, by my opinion. But it´s not a must.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.I went ahead and ordered the 265/50 20 Nitto Terra grapplers,
they fit fine and even the spare fits without having to deflate it,
yes i bought 5 of them and they are all mounted on the 20 in Lux wheels.
The front tires are about 5MM away from hitting on the bottom of the front shock plastic so if a stone caught in the tread it might contact the plastic portion of the front struts.
Otherwise there is not any fitment issues,
the spare took a little bit of moving around and the plastic lifter ( the part with the tire web lifting threads) in the spare has to be placed off to one side for the hatch floor to close,
not really an issue.
The tires run smooth and they are a bit louder than the Paradas that were on there,
but not loud or obtrusive by any means,
they work very well in the snow and i will be going to the mountains to try them in some offroading situations.
The steering also feels lighter as there is less tread on the road compared to the Paradas due to the bigger grooves cut in the Nitto treads.
all in I paid 1124.00 for 5 tires and mounting and balance,
it would have cost me 1430.00 to buy 4 Dunlop ST8000 tires as that was what my spare was.

·
Registered
888 Posts
.I went ahead and ordered the 265/50 20 Nitto Terra grapplers,

The tires run smooth and they are a bit louder than the Paradas that were on there,
but not loud or obtrusive by any means,

all in I paid 1124.00 for 5 tires and mounting and balance,
These are the tires that I have also decided to get. My all in at Discount Tire looks to be $975, but I'm only getting 4 (decided to just keep the 255/55 19 spare). Where did you get yours?
I don't know what the LUX vs. Stormmer wheels are, but I got the 9-spoke '06 wheels in flat black.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Discount Tire is where I got the Nittos the Lux wheels are the 7 spoke 20 inch rims that were on the 2005 RRHSE

·
Registered
5 Posts
I fitted Cooper LTZs to my 2004 Range Rover. They replaced Nitto Terra Grapplers, both size: 285/50R20. Both fitted on stock 20" rims with no problems.

The Coopers have now covered 32,000 miles and the rears need replacing. About 5,000 miles left in the fronts.

What a fantastic tyre. The RR is used for off-road work about 10% of the time and spends about 20 days of the year entirely off-road. Never stuck in mud, wet grass or snow. Great traction on everything.

The RR also covers a lot of motorway miles so the tyres need to be quiet too. On 8 hour continental trips, they have performed effortlessly and are as quiet as the OE Pirelli Scorpion rubbish which Land Rover fitted. The LTZs look far better too.

The Terra Grapplers were slightly better off-road but can't touch the LTZs on tarmac. They are a great compromise and the only tyre for me, although they are now 40% more expensive than when I first fitted them over 2 years ago!

·
Registered
888 Posts
My 20" wheels are on the way. In addition to the 265/50 Terra's I'm looking at the 275/55 Dura Grapplers (http://mobile.nittotire.com/tires/duragrappler/overview). Obviously more "truckie" and less "ATie", but I only spend 30 to 40 days offroad (ranching, not "wheeling"), maybe like my old Michelin LTZ M/S on my old Excursion.

Has anyone used Storey's AllComms to adjust the driving and offroad height settings, as opposed to bumping the rear well? Since the tire is only 1.48" taller and almost fits, I'm wondering about increasing the driving and offroad heights by 1/4" to 1/2".

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are pictures of my 05 with the 265/50-20 Nitto Terra Grapplers,
the last 3 are with the truck in the raised position

Attachments

·
Registered
888 Posts
Here are pictures of my 05 with the 265/50-20 Nitto Terra Grapplers, the last 3 are with the truck in the raised position
This is the "official" 275/55R20 thread, not the 265/50 :) (just kidding)

Looks great!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I also have the Cooper Zeon LTZ's in 275/55 20 and agree that rubbing is non existent with the exception of the rear fuel filler "bump" on the fender liner.

Here is a video of my LTZ's tooling around Big Bear CA: (This is pretty boring, so if you have 10 minutes to waste, go for it!)

·
Registered
888 Posts
I also have the Cooper Zeon LTZ's in 275/55 20 and agree that rubbing is non existent with the exception of the rear fuel filler "bump" on the fender liner.
And your spare is on a roof rack?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Go on LEBoyd, go design and fab up a rear swing away tire carrier... :)
Oh, if I had the time and my regular mechanic partner. My son and have done this and many other bumpers, roof racks, brush guards, etc. Unfortunately, he is now grown and just leaving for Apache flight school. :(

However!!!! He and I have just studied the exploded views of the both diffs, along with the description of how the diffs work in RAVE manual. The RR has nothing special about their diffs (no limited slip clutches, no "locker" carriers, etc.), just standard diffs. Therefore, there is no reason you cannot run a different size tire even for a long period of times. The RR offroads so much better "off the lot" than other 4x4s because of the great articulation of the wheels, thereby keeping as much wheel traction as possible.

I will use my best old tire as my spare and if I have a flat I will have no qualms slapping it on and driving on until I can get the flat plugged.

Use this information at your own risk.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yeah I manage to stuff my zeon in the spare compartment fully inflated by making a few mods... it still doesn't lie completely flat though, the cover sticks up a couple inches. I would rather have the right size spare myself.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the 265/50 -20 Nitto will fit into the spare well ,
it will take a little bit of jostling,
and the tire lift handle has to moved to the driverside of the well,
but the cover lays flat and the tire hold down also functions as it should.
This size tire is prolly the largest you can fit to the tire well.
as has been mentioned before,
running a tire thats smaller or larger then the rest will quickly damage the transfer case.
it might be better to have the truck flatbedded

1 - 20 of 133 Posts