RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our summer holiday I thought I'd take my RRS and family on their first off-road experience. So with the help of Wikiloc I found a nice trail through a nature reserve of sort - see ticket to enter. It was labelled "Easy" by a Defender driver and "Difficult" by a Fiat SUV driver. Figuring the RRS is more like the Defender than the Fiat, it seemed like reasonable challenge.

We ended up in a rock path clinging to the side of a mountain in Tuscany. I didn't think about the RRS being wider than the Defender, thus we had about half a foot to the edge with the drivers side scraping the bushes and branches hanging off the rock wall. Needless to say none of my family were inclined to take any photos neither of the beautiful views, the challenging path, nor the car. Or letting me do the anything but driving.

However after 16 km (10 miles), 750 m (2500ft) vertical climb, 390 m (1300 ft) vertical descent and crossing a small stream, our RRS did prove itself as capable as I hoped. I left it in auto mode as I don't have EDP and rock mode, and used the HDC when going down.

Learnings from this: 1) Not once did I lack the EDP - the software and Torsen differential is that good. I am very sure that I will never drive any civilian vehicle on a more challenging track; 2) HDC is a life saver - rocks were rolling ahead of the car when we were going down-hill, but the RRS was steady as a rock (pun intended) ;3) Opti-coat does not save the car from scratches from bushes and branches and depending on how it looks after I have had it cleaned, it might need a paint job.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1437580978.020395.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1437580998.995451.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1437581015.955887.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1437581034.562843.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1437581050.711951.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Ha! Your family won't forget that adventure! I'm sure you are glad that you went for it though, even with scared passengers and some scratches. I also ended up with some scratches on my first (and only so far) off road excursion with my local LR dealer. I now have Xpel clear wrap on the doors, which the installer said would have protected me from the scratches from the branches on the side of the trail. He was able to buff 99% of them out. Hopefully you'll be able to buff your scratches out.

Shouldn't you have more gas/petrol in the tank when you head out into the wilderness?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have some off road rash on my gloss black panels as well... decided not to repair them. Shows my off road adventures ha. Also scraped my mirror a little on a tree. Forgot I could fold the mirrors ---- :-?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have some off road rash on my gloss black panels as well... decided not to repair them. Shows my off road adventures ha. Also scraped my mirror a little on a tree. Forgot I could fold the mirrors ---- :-?
I folded mine, otherwise the left one would have been stuck to a rock.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
You're a very brave man! My wife would have divorced me, LOL...

GREAT read and glad to hear your Sport passed with flying colors.

As others have stated, most if not all the brush/branch scratches will buff out. I've had this happen on more than a few occasions. But it really hurts when it happens. It's like scratching the case or SS band on a nice new watch.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're a very brave man! My wife would have divorced me, LOL...
Only by blaming my inability to interpret the Wikiloc write-ups (in Italian) and the totally different ratings assigned to the track was I able to prevent that...😉

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great to see the RRS being used off road. I can't wait to take mine once I get a proper set of offroad tires.
I had the standard 255/55/20 Pirelli Scorpions on a set of L320 ATB rims and on this dry rock, gravel and dirt track it worked well.

I was a bit worried about getting a puncture on one of the rocks, especially since had the tires pressurised for heavy load, as the car was fully packed for the 2000 km motorvaeg/autobahn/autostrade trip to Italy, but they held up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Great adventure. So glad you point out that you have a "Real" Land Rover without the EDP! I was concerned from some of the comments on here when I realized I did not have that package! This shows the capability of the vehicle, and is what has attracted me to the brand. My previous RR full size had the equivalent of EDP, I admit I never used it off-road. Am I missing something, maybe but it does not diminish the capabilities of the car and someday I may want or need to use it off-road. I want a car that will get me around when it snows, can tow a travel trailer, is fast luxurious and has status.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
229 Posts
I had the standard 255/55/20 Pirelli Scorpions on a set of L320 ATB rims and on this dry rock, gravel and dirt track it worked well.

I was a bit worried about getting a puncture on one of the rocks, especially since had the tires pressurised for heavy load, as the car was fully packed for the 2000 km motorvaeg/autobahn/autostrade trip to Italy, but they held up.

That's good to hear. Unfortunately, I have the 21" with Michelin Latitude Sports so not sure if they'll be cut out for anything but dry or wet pavement.

·
Registered
124 Posts
On our summer holiday I thought I'd take my RRS and family on their first off-road experience. So with the help of Wikiloc I found a nice trail through a nature reserve of sort - see ticket to enter. It was labelled "Easy" by a Defender driver and "Difficult" by a Fiat SUV driver. Figuring the RRS is more like the Defender than the Fiat, it seemed like reasonable challenge.

We ended up in a rock path clinging to the side of a mountain in Tuscany. I didn't think about the RRS being wider than the Defender, thus we had about half a foot to the edge with the drivers side scraping the bushes and branches hanging off the rock wall. Needless to say none of my family were inclined to take any photos neither of the beautiful views, the challenging path, nor the car. Or letting me do the anything but driving.

However after 16 km (10 miles), 750 m (2500ft) vertical climb, 390 m (1300 ft) vertical descent and crossing a small stream, our RRS did prove itself as capable as I hoped. I left it in auto mode as I don't have EDP and rock mode, and used the HDC when going down.

Learnings from this: 1) Not once did I lack the EDP - the software and Torsen differential is that good. I am very sure that I will never drive any civilian vehicle on a more challenging track; 2) HDC is a life saver - rocks were rolling ahead of the car when we were going down-hill, but the RRS was steady as a rock (pun intended) ;3) Opti-coat does not save the car from scratches from bushes and branches and depending on how it looks after I have had it cleaned, it might need a paint job.
[iurl="http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=142746&d=1437580985"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=142754&d=1437581002"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=142762&d=1437581019"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=142770&d=1437581038"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=142778&d=1437581055"]
[/iurl]

Really nice taking it Offroad so quickly. My wife said that she would have objected had she not done the Land Rover experience beforehand seeing first-hand what the rigs can do. Nonetheless, I have acquired scrapes on both mirrors from trees, attracted an audience at some point taking photos of the crazy RRS guy actually using one outside of a mall. My Brother even took me aside at one point and asked me if everything was ok b/c I was quickly throwing a brand-new ATB dirt and sand and ruts.

Keep it up!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Really nice taking it Offroad so quickly. My wife said that she would have objected had she not done the Land Rover experience beforehand seeing first-hand what the rigs can do. Nonetheless, I have acquired scrapes on both mirrors from trees, attracted an audience at some point taking photos of the crazy RRS guy actually using one outside of a mall. My Brother even took me aside at one point and asked me if everything was ok b/c I was quickly throwing a brand-new ATB dirt and sand and ruts.

Keep it up!
My wife would have preferred doing the LR experience first as well (and not done this excursion at all). Recalling some experiences from the army, reading the manual and watching LR's off-road driving guide videos (here it should be a link, but I can't find them now) I felt comfortable making a try - and if a FIAT SUV made it, how hard could it be?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually thought I cost more in Italy. Im normally in Florence and Milan in Jan. Italians out there always saying wine is cheaper than gas.
Price right now is €1.45/litre diesel and €1.7/litre gasoline. I might have done the conversions to dollars and gallons a but rough, but I wouldn't touch a wine that cheap.

But we are straying off-track...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's more like US$7-8 per US Gallon (depending on foreign exchange rate, Before Greece it was more like $8, After Greece around $7, lol.)
That's right! So glad we still have the krona in Sweden. The price for diesel is however also for us about $6/gallon and gasoline $7.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts