RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna use my 2012 RR Sport supercharged for a combination of daily road driving and light to medium off-roading (AZ desert).
I'm trying to avoid having to buy a whole separate set of wheels just for offroading.
All the usual tyre websites don't show anything for RR sport except low profile road tyres which are clearly unsuitable for even light offroading.
Does anyone have any recommendations for off-road tyres (high profile, strengthened sidewalls etc) that would fit 20" rims without rubbing the wheel arches even at the extremes of articulation?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
5 Posts
On my 2012 Supercharged with 20" wheels (style 9), I'm using Nitto Terra Grappler G2 in size 285/50R20. After 11,000 km they're quiet, they look new, and they performed well in the Mojave desert on a recent road trip. My only gripe is, in heavy rain with lots of standing water on the road, they hydroplane more than the stock Michelins. Might not apply to you in AZ as much it does to me in the PNW!

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
I second Ivivier, I love my G2s. Have over 11,000 miles on them and still look great, quiet on road, plenty of tread and do extremely well off road aired down in the mountain trails. My last set took all kinds of abuse... slits and chunks out of the sidewall on the trails and never failed me. There are more aggressive treads but I'm not sure if the noise on road.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
I forgot to mention I'm running 18" rims which allows me to air down a bit more than my old 20" rims.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll put in my vote for Cooper Zeon LTZ in 275/45R20. I like them on and off road and have used them in the deserts of Arizona and Utah. No experience in the wet or mud, however.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 13 slightly lifted and im running the Nitto Trail Graplers in size 275/55/R20 and have put a few k miles on them and i gotta say Its refreshing. I was worried about tire drone on the highway being that I am in a similar situation and i gotta say its really not bad at all. Pleasant surprise. I have read some reviews that they dont hold up for the long haul with lots of pavement driving but I clearly cant comment on that yet. If I get 20k out of them id be pumped. Did you make a decision? Pics

? Truck at Firehouse.jpg Use this.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those do look good. How big is your lift? Do you know if there is room for 55s without the lift?

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
The 275/55R20 is a 32" diameter tire and will rub when cornering without the lift for sure. My assumption is the 12 is the same as my 06 in the rear wheel well. I'm running 275/65R18 (also a 32" diameter) and need the 2" lift. I still rub some when taking a hard left. I could slow down too I guess.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine still rubs as well when taking a hard left Have you explored at all? I cut a little plastic and it still does it when hard left like parking parelle etc. Any clue as to why only left? Its driving me nuts

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Left turns are a tighter than right. I also trimmed plastic as well as hammered back the welded seam in the wheel well to create space in the rear. I have never had issues with the front.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had Nitto Terra Grappler G2 285/50R20s fitted a few days ago. No lift, stock supercharged rims (offset 59).
So far so good, but only been on-road driving so far.
There's a knuckle joint (steering or suspension) behind the top of the front wheels that is REALLY close to the tyre now (maybe 3mm away) but it doesn't actually rub, at least so far. For that reason I would recommend anyone else fitting these tyres to also consider rims with a lower offset, maybe 45 or something.
There is a protruding structural section at the back of the front wheel arch (about horizontal to the hub) where the outside corner of the tyre rubs, but only at full steering lock, so I'm not too bothered. Unlike others here I haven't noticed any rubbing at all from the rear.

I still need to use my IIDTool to reset the tyre size, in order to correct the speedo. On flat road with with my cruise control set at 50mph, the speedo also shows 50 but according to GPS I'm actually doing 53.

I bought the car a few months ago with continentals fitted. I usually fit Michelins on my performance road cars and have heard Continentals are meant to be equally high-end, but I found them very unimpressive. Obviously with a much higher sidewall the Nittos give a much smoother ride, but they are also not any more noisy as far as I can tell. They also make the car ride noticeably higher which I like, and look better. There is quite a bit more roll (as expected) when hard cornering though. In my opinion the G2s look much more "right" on an RRS than mall-crawlers do, they fill the wheel arches nicely and also make it look much more badass.8) Looking forward to getting them out in the desert soon which is what I actually fitted them for.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I used to trek in the desert when I lived in Phoenix, oh so many years ago. Had a Toyota 4x4 Extra Cab that I dearly loved. Ran Bridgestone Desert Duelers for their hi-flotation on sand but the Nitto's look good for rocks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: I had all the TPMS sensors replaced (they were 6 years old) when I put the new tyres on... The tyre guy said it would take a few miles for the car to learn the new ones, which seemed to happen and then settle down OK. But now the car keeps coming up with "Tyre Monitoring System Error" which then clears after a few miles, then it does it again. I've used my IIDtool to check for errors logged but there are none. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have the antennas been damaged? Or have a short?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont think so... Where are the TPMS antennas? Are they behind the wheel arch covers?
I watched the guys take the wheels off and put them back on again.
They didn't force or hit anything and there wasn't anything obviously fragile around the wheel hubs at least that I noticed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
johnson rods, and i have the gap controler, so whatever i set it to really within limits. however i am normally at about 3 inches.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I dont think so... Where are the TPMS antennas? Are they behind the wheel arch covers?
Yep, they are attached via a couple of plastic screws. Found them when I was replacing my air shock and had no idea what they were until I dug into the manual. The wiring may have come unplugged or shorted. Just a guess though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts