Range Rovers Forum banner

Off Road Tires which won't rub when on bump stops?

10K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  Lox001 
#1 ·
So my current Continental Cross-Contact tires which came installed on my vehicle are starting to wear out and there is no way I'm replacing with the same thing (I've only kept them this long because I didn't want to throw out tires which weren't worn yet). Currently I have 20" rims, but I'll probably need to get smaller rims. I'm interesting in knowing which tire/rim combinations I can use which are good off road tires but which will not rub when on bump stops. Or alternatively, if there is a way to install modified bump stops which are taller than stock, so that I could still limp home (assuming there are no obstacles requiring full height which cannot be avoided) in the event of a catastrophic suspension failure (ripped bag, etc, etc) while in a remote location.

I'm looking for someone who has first hand experience and has tested this on an MKIII so I don't spend $$$ on tires and then find out they don't fit when I drop to bump stops one day (sooner or later it WILL happen).

I'd love to get a set of Cooper STT but I'm pretty certain that although they may not rub at normal/off road height, they would be problematic on bump stops, so I think modified bump stops would be necessary and I'm not sure if such a product exists.

#2 ·
I run 275/70/18 Goodyear Duratracs and don't rub (in the rear - haven't tested the front) when on the bump stops.

I also had my fabricator install longer bumpstops (after my "test" of the shorter ones when a rear bag blew out) just for a little insurance.

So - I don't know about the front at all - but I know the rear is fine.

#4 ·
MMMmm, TerraFirma sounds like a good name for those. The RR has especially compliant bump stops for cases such as Jon's (above). Those look to be about as compliant as a brick...
Besides, the mounting is completely different. I've seen bump stops spaced down on a P38. If you were to do this, that would seem like an easy, sensible route to me.

#5 ·
Stevemfr said:
MMMmm, TerraFirma sounds like a good name for those. The RR has especially compliant bump stops for cases such as Jon's (above). Those look to be about as compliant as a brick...
Besides, the mounting is completely different. I've seen bump stops spaced down on a P38. If you were to do this, that would seem like an easy, sensible route to me.
What about something like this? http://discoweb.org/bumpstops/index.htm

#6 ·
If you want to keep your 20" rims, you could go with a tire such as this Cooper Zeon LTZ, in that size you'd be nearly stock, so no rubbing even w/o modifications to the bump stops. Of course, sidewall on a low profile tire like that is what it is and for serious off-roading probably insufficient (your rims would get banged up as well)... But I run on those Coopers (mine are 285/60/18s) all year long and I find them perfectly capable off road and very quiet and compliant on it.

#7 ·
Hmm, I didn't know I even had an option in the 20" rim... but still, as you said, on loose surfaces, I may wish to air down the tires, and the lower profile won't work so well for that. Something to consider though, because those tires aren't terribly expensive. I could sell my 20" rims to offset the cost of the smaller rims though. I really don't like them, they are chrome, and take a lot of work to keep them clean/protected in the winter especially.

#8 ·
I went from 20 inch rims to 19 on a 2010 HSE Lux and put the Goodyear Wranglers. You can't do that with the RR SC because of the brakes. It won't take 19's. I has a RRSSC with 20 inch rims with oversized brakes and busted tires while bending rims, I could not go down to 19's so I sold it. What a difference. This car will climb a brick wall like a Jeep Wrangler and drive down the highway like a Mercedes S Class. Not as fast as the RRSSC but it does the off road thing so much better.

#11 ·
Yes, I got a set of the 5-spoke LR3 18" rims. Off-road capabilities is outstanding, straight freeway cruising is smooth. Very little increase in tire noise, not as sharp while cornering or braking. But overall OK for daily driving.
/Jan

#13 ·
I got a super deal on some 265/50/20 Conti's that I put on my '04 RR. There has been zero difference from the OEM 255/50/20 that come on the RR. You will find a ton of off road tire options in the 265/55/20 size, check out Discount Tire. I would not think that there will be any rubbing as there is a ton of clearance remaining.

#14 ·
Lots of good info here... right now I think I'm leaning towards BFG All-Terrain K/O in the 265/65/18 size. Thought about the STT and Duratrack but I'm worried the STT may dig in too much in sand, and the Duratrack may have flimsy sidewalls. Now I just need to find some cheap 18" rims.

#16 ·
umbertob said:
There's a set of 4 on eBay right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rov ... ccessories

Not sure what the reserve price is, but if you could get them for $400 or so shipped, even with the junk tires you'd have no use for, that would be a good deal. If you have a 2004, you may need the new lugs (unless you already have those on your current 20s.)
Yes would be a pretty good price. I can't decide whether it would be better to get LR3 wheels, or the older 5 spoke RR wheels (mainly a cosmetic decision AFAIK). I keep staring at pics from people using one or the other and I think I'm making this more difficult than it needs to be :)

#19 ·
I thought I would update and say that I ended up keeping my stock 20" rims and getting a set of Cooper Zeon LTZ in the 275/55R20 size for $131 each with free shipping from discount tire direct (the price varies often, I watched for a while). They are much more quiet than my continentals ever were, which is surprising... don't know if that will last as these begin to wear. They also handle better, even on pavement, and feel a lot more solid. My ride is a lot better, not so jarring going over bumps, etc. The guys at the tire shop where I got them mounted spent a while admiring the tires saying they'd never seen an MKIII RR with "real" tires before.

I haven't noticed any rubbing. Really the only problem is that my spare didn't fit in the spare tire compartment (I anticipated this). I'm eventually going to see about modifying or removing the plastic molding under the lid, it is only off by millimeters, but for now I've just got the spare laying in the trunk space since I don't often put much stuff back there anyway.

Haven't had much snow yet, so I don't know how that will be, but anything should be an upgrade from those ghastly continentals I had. It is snowing right now, but only supposed to be a few inches, so not really a proper test :wink:

#21 ·
Hrm, so I modified the plastic bits to let the spare drop into the compartment, but the bottom of the compartment is also formed and it doesn't quite fit. I might be able to squeeze it in a little more if I deflate the tire, but I don't know... the floor doesn't quite close over the top, but I think I'll just leave it, its good enough. Another day, I'll try letting the air out and see if it fits, but its not a realistic solution unless I get a portable compressor to re-inflate if needed. If I really wanted to brute force it, perhaps a sledge hammer could alter the shape of the bottom, but I'm not that crazy :snooty:

#22 ·
Don't know what kind of terrain you plan on undertaking off road where you live, but here in SoCal there are lots of sharp rocks everywhere in our deserts, so a portable air compressor is pretty much a must-have as we need to air down and deal with flats quite often when venturing off road, and flats usually occur at the most inopportune times, such as in the middle of Death Valley... ask me how I know. :lol: In the RRS I have found the perfect place to store my air compressor - a cheap but perfectly adequate Masterflow MF-1050, aka MV50 - in the empty well where the auxiliary battery would normally be mounted (inside the engine compartment), so I always have it with me, just in case. I do need to deflate my 285/60/18 spare down to about 20-25 psi to wedge it in my spare wheel compartment, and I bet clearances are similar between Sport and Range Rover down there.

#25 ·
djsaad1 said:
Would you know if I would need to deflate a 285 50 to fit in the full size spare wheel compartment?
Obviously I can't confirm 100%, but I would imagine the 285 would fit because they are smaller diameter and my 275 *almost* fits. If I could squish it down another inch or two (still wouldn't be resting all the way on the bottom yet), then I could get the floor closed over it.

And, yes, I fully intend to get a portable compressor. So far, when needed, I've borrowed from someone, but if I'm going to be driving around every day with a deflated spare, I'll need my own :)

I took a quick spin on a local trail earlier and the tires are fantastic. Rocks had ice/snow on them and I still had no real issues. I didn't go far (maybe half a mile) before turning around, didn't want to get too deep in the woods by myself in case something went wrong. My old tires would have never made it past the first 100 yards. Wanted to get in a quick test since I may not get many more chances before it snows too much and the trail isn't passable until spring.

#26 ·
THks Linusfreakus - you just solved a major problem for me - as I am planning to upgrade to a newer RR with 20" rims and I have been searching for "off-road" capable tires.
I am currently running 265 BFG on 18" rims on my RR, which are great off the pavement, and really want something similar in the 20" size
Regards
GND HG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.