RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched. I know that the hardware is not available and needs to be found in a junkyard. I have found the boards and brackets on a 1998. However where they Bolt to the frame the 98 had internal nuts welded to the frame that the bolts went in. My 02 just has the 4 10mm holes. So the aftermarket UK running boards have an expansion nut on the end of the bolt that you insert into the hole and when you tighten it down it expands behind the hole like a wedge anchor.
Home Depot, Lowe’s, Ace hardware, auto parts stores, Napa, and Fastenal have nothing like this. I’m running out of ideas. It needs to be grade 8 for strength. I’ll try to post a still from the video that you tube guy Work on P38 in Norway posted. I contacted him without any luck. Any other ideas anyone, I have a rivenut tool but you can’t get to the hole unless it is a 90 degree rivenut tool which I don’t want to buy. Thoughts?

·
Registered
361 Posts
He appears to be using ordinary concrete style anchor bolts. Considering their diameter I reckon that standard dyna (anchor) bolts will have more than adequate strength to support them.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I did the same after months of searching I found the brackets. What you need to use is a few drywall anchors. I had to shave a little metal off a few so they would flatten out inside the frame. Th kind you push the metal(pointed) part through and push the plastic tab to hold it in place. Still holding after 2 years. I think they were 3/8 at home depot ect. I finally can edit
Like this but a different brand

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hello Crow,
Like you, I got the running boards with brackets and searched how to attach to the rig.
I tried Rivnuts, no joy. Bought a right angle drill to try to make a hole in the frame, impossible.
I ended up having them welded to the frame. That was about 4 years ago. Works well.
Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts