RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I refurbished my roof-rack some months ago but am only now getting around to putting up the pics no thanks to this sites 25mb pic limit.
So I'm sure I'm not the first person on here to ever take off an OEM roof-rack but in my case half of the torx security bolts were stripped out so I had to drill out the bolt heads on them while still mounted to the roof of the truck and them replaced the bolts with all new M6 bolts as shown in the pictures also.
My roof-rack was very badly faded from sitting out in the Florida sun and armorall wasn't breathing any life back into it as the side bars are metal so once off it was thoroughly sanded down with 220 grit paper and then cleaned well with alcohol.
The two top bars were stripped of their smaller pieces and then hung from wire to access all areas once spraying.
The same applied for the side-bars,two screws were driven into each side to keep them stable without having them touch anything while spraying.
All items got 6-7 coats 45 minutes apart and left to bake in the Florida heat for 48 hrs.
Reconnecting the roof-rack once its ready is much easier as long as your rubber/foam bases are still all intact or somewhat intact.
http://tompage.imgur.com/all/

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
48 Posts
I am going to completely ignore the message at the top of the page saying "TomPage's pictures aren't publicly viewable" and say maybe it was a close up of the new black paint on his roof racks that we are seeing ;-)

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
Just upload your pictures here. I can't see anything but black.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just upload your pictures here. I can't see anything but black.
I can't upload any more pictures here mate because I've used up my 25mb pic allowance for this site which sucks.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok try this link and you should be able to view the pictures now let me know if ye still can't:

http://tompage.imgur.com

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks great, I've been meaning to do the same as mine look awful with missing paint and corrosion.

Quick question though, my side bars don't sit all the way down to the roof, I have a litte gap (few mm) where I see you have some rubber/foam? Is that OEM or something you added yourself?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks great, I've been meaning to do the same as mine look awful with missing paint and corrosion.

Quick question though, my side bars don't sit all the way down to the roof, I have a litte gap (few mm) where I see you have some rubber/foam? Is that OEM or something you added yourself?
It is OEM and although mine have seen better days they still do the job.They are a foam/rubber membrane and their purpose is two fold.They (a) protect the top of your rig from damage and scraping of metal on plastic (b) it helps prevent noise from the rack whilst the vehicle is in motion.
Now I recently shipped an OEM roof-rack to Mills Fowler on here and the roof-rack I sent didn't have these foam pieces as the vehicle I took it off was missing half of them and the others were perished to dust so what I suggested to him at the time was to go to a craft store or Walmart and buy a sheet of foam/rubber then cut out 6 squares and put holes in them to let the rack squeeze them down onto the roof.Then secure the rack in place and once its done you can cut around the 6 points with a Stanley knife (box cutter as they say in the states) and then you have created 6 new foam pads for your rack.you may as well be staring into a field of thistles as trying to find 6 replacement OEM foam pads for this rack as they're pretty much non existant.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just bought a oem roof rack. Exactly which foam/rubber pads are you talking about? The ones that go under the 3 points where the rack connects into the channels? Or where the smaller bars connect onto the longer rails? Sorry for the question if it is dumb. Also just clarifying all I need is 6 or 12 M6 allen bolts measuring 1.00x20 mm right?

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
They are not foam pads. They are orings that fill the space between the end caps and the extruded rail... at least they were on both of my racks that I refinished.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I bought some s/h roof rails last year and also refurbished mine. I used stainless allen bolts instead of the security ones. There were 4 rubber pads where it sat on the roof but I left these off, I couldn't see the purpose and they were in poor condition. The mounts bolt into the channels, and on mine they stand slightly off from the roof. There is a 1/8" gap, but it is not really noticeable.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Ahhhh, misread, but still confused. My racks have all come with hurkin fat rubber pads for the feet, nothing even close to being foam. Foam would degrade far too fast with sun and weather exposure. Are you folks sure these are original? When I say rubber I am talking about nice thick hunks of tyre grade rubber that are formed to the roof and foot with a nice lip to ensure it doesn;t move off the foot during install. They are firm, do not compress and really do not move too well if you get the placement incorrect. WIthout such a stout gasket there you would end up with failure, gap and water in your roof channel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys,

Yes they are rubber, moulded pads.

My rack is OEM, and never been off, my question is, any idea what allen key size the security fittings are, as I need to drill a hole in a standard key to get mine off as the powder coating is shot.

That along with not having a manual key for the sunroof is a bit of a pain.

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
230 Posts
Rather than mess with a standard allen key get one of the 1/4 hex drive security screw remover sets and a cheap, flat, ratchet type driver. In the UK 35 or so piece sets, bits only no driver, go around the £5 mark and more comprehensive 100 or so piece sets go £10 - £15 often with a screwdriver included. My flat ratchets are about 4" long in the handle and real cheap looking. Probably £3 or so off market /exhibition stalls but they do the deed just fine. Nowadays there are nicer ones for not too much more. Think my 35 set covers the Range Rover sizes but not sure. The bigger ones certainly do. Ended up with two of the bigger sets 'cos one, from Lidl of all places, had some styles I lacked.

Found those little ratchets really handy for confined spaces and when you need to hold the bit on real straight to shift a tight one. Ordianry L keys are far too easy to tilt when pulling hard, especially in the smaller sizes. If you can get one with a knob on the top so you can spin things undone with your fingers once the tightness has been broken.

Clive

1 - 14 of 14 Posts