RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's a 2010... I think the driving lights will fit on 2010+ vehicles. They were on national backorder, but dealers should be able to order them now. It was a cloudy day today, and they are really outstanding on a cloudy day.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Looks nice, I've been contemplating getting some myself, but I was thinking of doing the install on my own. Might you have any additional close up pics of how they are mounted/connected etc...? And with that said, do they appear to be of a good quality (for that price they should be) and nice and bright?

-Thanks

·
Registered
670 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks nice, I've been contemplating getting some myself, but I was thinking of doing the install on my own. Might you have any additional close up pics of how they are mounted/connected etc...? And with that said, do they appear to be of a good quality (for that price they should be) and nice and bright?

-Thanks
I'm on the road for the next few weeks so I won't be able to take photos, but I will say that the installation is very high quality. These are OEM lights designed specifically for the RRS so there's no comparison with the aftermarket. They are as bright as any LED daytime light on an Audi, Porsche, etc. It's only 4 LEDs per side, which goes well with the RRS aesthetic. Finally, it's integrated completely with the RRS -- they are on all the time except when the headlights kick on, when the DRLs turn off. Post #5 includes a link to the installation directions -- it's not something I would do myself. The dealer charged $375 to install.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ordered mine today. I'm doing my own install, as it doesn't look difficult at all. The hardest thing, IMo, is taking the front end off. Looks like you have to "subscribe" to Topix in order to get Workshop access.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I also ordered a set, but for the AutoBio type front end. I also downloaded from Topix the front end workshop pdfs.

Got them for $642 shipping included from carpartestore.com.

RRS_LED_DRLs.jpg

I tried attaching the PDF for the Bumper Cover removal, but there is a 250k limit. I have the PDF's if anyone needs them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If there is enough interest, I can do a step by step pictorial on my LED install.

Should be fun.

However, don't want to put a lot of time into it if only 1 or 2 people are interested!

Also, FWIW..I don't *think* 700 bucks is all that bad, considering you get an OEM harness with OEM lights.

I had to do the same thing on a Saleen Mustang I owned..routing OEM harnesses and patching into OEM Ford harnesses- it makes the job look factory, and eliminates a lot of "mix-n-match" parts you may have to use otherwise.

Plus- honestly..do we have people here who have no issue dropping 65K on a vehicle, but yet are OK with putting a pair of 20 dollar LEDs on instead of buying an OEM product?? Most people already think we are idiots for spending that kind of loot on a low reliability, gas guzzling British product..so why make it worse by putting eBay lights on it for gawds sake?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I'd be interested in the detailed step by step as I'm sure others would be as well in the years to come.

On a side note, what kind of Z06 do you have? I have a 2007 and a 2008.

I'm also a huge DIY'er so I'm looking forward to getting these lights and putting them on!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'd be interested in the detailed step by step as I'm sure others would be as well in the years to come.

On a side note, what kind of Z06 do you have? I have a 2007 and a 2008.

I'm also a huge DIY'er so I'm looking forward to getting these lights and putting them on!
I have a 2011 Z06 w/ the Z07 and Carbon Fiber package.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I have a 2011 Z06 w/ the Z07 and Carbon Fiber package.
Very nice, that's going to be a collectors version one day!

On a side note, do we have any members here that are "in" with their parts manager and might work us a deal on these lights? And if someone has the install docs, please send me a PM and I'll reply with my email address to send it to as it might be too large to post here.

-Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Very nice, that's going to be a collectors version one day!

On a side note, do we have any members here that are "in" with their parts manager and might work us a deal on these lights? And if someone has the install docs, please send me a PM and I'll reply with my email address to send it to as it might be too large to post here.

-Thanks!
I have a wholesale account with a local land rover dealer. I'll see what I can get them for and let you all know.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nothing I can do for a better deal on these sorry.

·
Registered
261 Posts
So I'm getting mine delivered UPS today. The price was 636 plus shipping ($642 total). I ordered these from CarPartsEstore.com on Nov 15th. These shipped in 3 days (18th), but were coming from New Jersey. Considering the holiday and such, not too bad for free UPS shipping.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Received the LED's. Opened them up and started playing with it so I understand how to defeat the intended usage. They are designed to only light up when the vehicle is running, and when in a DRIVE gear. This is how most of the GM's I've had operated, and LR seems to be duplicating that process.

However, our Audi lights up the LED's during unlock, idling in park, etc. So it must not necessarily be US DOT regulations. Even when driving with the headlights on, the Audi's LED array stays lit, although a bit powered down. They only turn off when signals are applied on the side of the signal, which looks like a malfunction.

Anyway, here is what's in the kit, and a power demo to confirm my wiring theory. LR does NOT tell you what the wires do, just where to splice them. In fact, the yellow sticker on the LED wires say "NEVER CONNECT LIGHT WITHOUT DRIVER TO 12V. 12V SUPPLY WILL DESTROY LIGHT." Sounds omninous.

They are very bright, and have a power draw rating of 8.7 watts per array (stated on the LED). The picture is with my camera flash ON.

LED_Kit_1.jpg LED_Kit_2.jpg

·
Registered
0 Posts
We do LED's all the time here. We charge $700-800 for the LED's and professional installation included.

We have even done headlight LED's as well.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Awesome pictures and description, Thank You! It's pictures and descriptions such as these that will be around for years to come, and help a many a DIY'er. :)

So looking at it so far, does it look like it's going to be a somewhat simple installation process? I'm guessing that your going to connect them so that they are on whenever the vehicle is on, which is what I was planning to do as well. I was looking high and low last night trying to see if I could find them anywhere for less than the $700.00. The best I found was around $636.00 give or take, which is expensive, but looking at what your getting, the wiring harnesses, control box, bright, quality looking LED's, I can see where the design cost and expense come in, and of course they need to make their profit on it as well... :?

Received the LED's. Opened them up and started playing with it so I understand how to defeat the intended usage. They are designed to only light up when the vehicle is running, and when in a DRIVE gear. This is how most of the GM's I've had operated, and LR seems to be duplicating that process.

However, our Audi lights up the LED's during unlock, idling in park, etc. So it must not necessarily be US DOT regulations. Even when driving with the headlights on, the Audi's LED array stays lit, although a bit powered down. They only turn off when signals are applied on the side of the signal, which looks like a malfunction.

Anyway, here is what's in the kit, and a power demo to confirm my wiring theory. LR does NOT tell you what the wires do, just where to splice them. In fact, the yellow sticker on the LED wires say "NEVER CONNECT LIGHT WITHOUT DRIVER TO 12V. 12V SUPPLY WILL DESTROY LIGHT." Sounds omninous.

They are very bright, and have a power draw rating of 8.7 watts per array (stated on the LED). The picture is with my camera flash ON.

View attachment 6895 View attachment 6896

·
Registered
646 Posts
So $700 for about $20 worth of parts. Wow!!! now that's a serious return on investment. I can't believe they expect you to "splice" wires for that price. I would expect a better made kit that plugged into factory connectors for that price. What exactly makes these parts better then aftermarket?

The reason they tell you NOT to connect them to 12V is LED's take between .7V and 1.2V to turn on depending on the LED. You change the brightness by limiting the current not voltage. That control box is basically a voltage regulater and probably a current limiter. What would be inetersting is to see if they connected all of them in series or parallel. If they are in series if one goes out they all go out. Series would be the cheapest so that's probably what they did :( Think x-mas lights where 1 bulb goes out.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Quick question, why don't y'all just wire up the built in LED's in the headlamps as daytime running lights? I believe that was a DIY posted on here about someone splicing one of the wires in the headlamp connectors and running them to a bosch relay connected directly to the battery. Sorry to go a little OT, but was just curious.

EDIT:
never mind, found the thread (http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-range-rover-sport/32154-led-drl-how-tools-thanks-awfaxis-friend.html). Looks a little more intense that I thought.

21 - 40 of 123 Posts