RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the OEM rack support a kayak (single and/or tandem)? I am trying to decide if I should pick up a used OEM rack or a Thule that fits the factory mounts. Thank you!
 

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
2,064 Posts
Huh, where would you get the OEM rack from if you needed it? :roll: just asking..I have seen a Kayak on the OEM rack before..

Scotty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scotty said:
Huh, where would you get the OEM rack from if you needed it? :roll: just asking..I have seen a Kayak on the OEM rack before..

Scotty
I posted a wanted add on Craigs list and someone local responded. I have not seen the rack and am uncertain as to the condition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scotty said:
Huh, where would you get the OEM rack from if you needed it? :roll: just asking..I have seen a Kayak on the OEM rack before..

Scotty
When we spoke on Friday, did I neglect to mention that I was looking for a rack?
 

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
2,064 Posts
I think you did forget, thats cool though. I waiting for my SD rack to show up...Then i'll take off the OEM..

Scotty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
Quote from trailer brakes thread.
paul.adshead said:
Here's what the User Manual says:
So roof rack weight is limited to 165lb / 75kg. I think that value includes the weight of the rack itself, too. So if you put a big SD rack on there, then your load carrying ability is less (than with the lighter factory rack).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
paul.adshead said:
Quote from trailer brakes thread.
[quote="paul.adshead":1eayktnv]Here's what the User Manual says:
So roof rack weight is limited to 165lb / 75kg. I think that value includes the weight of the rack itself, too. So if you put a big SD rack on there, then your load carrying ability is less (than with the lighter factory rack).[/quote:1eayktnv]

Do you think that is the load that the rack will handle or the load that the roof will handle?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
27,818 Posts
Interesting, my roof rack bars are stamped with 80kg (175lbs) load max. I know with load basket, camp gear, fire wood etc I have had WAY more than that up there on trips. Then again my roof rack came with 4 crossbars not 2 so I suppose htat weight distribution etc factor in somehow.

Back on topic, a buddy of mine has borrowed my rig a couple times to take his kayak out. He has simply strapped it to the crossbars. I'm sure Thule would make some kind of kayak bracket that would clamp on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I weigh about 250lbs and I have been sitting on the roof in my SD rack, 15-20 mins. No bends, nothing - not even a noise.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
27,818 Posts
MrKaira said:
I weigh about 250lbs and I have been sitting on the roof in my SD rack, 15-20 mins. No bends, nothing - not even a noise.
:lol: Inspecting the snow drifts?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
bmwmotogreg said:
Do you think that is the load that the rack will handle or the load that the roof will handle?
I'm sure the roof and roof-rack would both handle far more than that. However, the problem is, that you adding, whatever, weight, at 2metres-plus, up in the air. These vehicles have a higher centre of gravity, just by their design. Adding another 100KG at 2M up, increases your 'rollover potential' considerably. I don't think I'd want to run it through an 'elk test' like that.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
paul.adshead said:
bmwmotogreg said:
Do you think that is the load that the rack will handle or the load that the roof will handle?
I'm sure the roof and roof-rack would both handle far more than that. However, the problem is, that you adding, whatever, weight, at 2metres-plus, up in the air. These vehicles have a higher centre of gravity, just by their design. Adding another 100KG at 2M up, increases your 'rollover potential' considerably. I don't think I'd want to run it through an 'elk test' like that.....
I am looking at tandem Kayaks that are in the 50 - 75 pound range. Sounds like I should be good to go.
 

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
3,622 Posts
I carry a big fat heavy old Coleman canoe a few times a month on my rack (the crappy two bar 'sport rack'). It holds it just fine. I use ratchet straps to keep it down.... one around the brush guard bar, and the other through a hitch with the ball taken out.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top