RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum -- this is my first post ever. Just purchased my very first Rover ('89 Classic) and now comes the task of working out the gremlins. I've used the search feature to resolve many of the issues, but a few I couldn't find answers to. I'll keep this post limited to just a couple of the bigger issues. And just FYI, I've checked all the fuses in the panel next to the heater controls.

First off -- the vehicle has a reportedly ~110K miles. At the 100K mark, the odometer/tripometer went out. Is there a repair for this, or do I need to replace the entire gauge? The speedometer still works (kinda -- is bouncy up till 20ish mph, and the fiber optic light is out).

Second -- my front windshield wipers only work on fast mode. No matter what I try, I can't get them to do slow or intermittent, and sometimes the blades get stuck in the up/vertical position. Is this most likely a switch or relay issue, and if so, how do I tell which one?

Lastly -- in the engine compartment, along the passenger side firewall, behind a bolted access panel, are a number of switches/relays. Can someone tell me what these correspond to?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the same boat on the odometer. I also just purchased an 89 RRC and have been working through my gremlins as well. My trip still works but it appears that the odo froze when it was rolling over. Did you ever find anything out?

I have a list of items to tackle in the instrument cluster I'll write back if I come across something
http://rangerovers.net/repairdetails/mi ... gaugelight

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
If the speedo has stopped indicating, I'd suspect the right angle drive on the speedo head has either stripped a gear or, more likely, has had the cover plate in the end pop out thus allowing the bevel gears to go out of mesh. The latter is a simple fix. Thoroughly clean the grease off the area where the cover disc sits, pop it back on and apply some epoxy to hold it.

Been there, done that.

Now with a stuck odo, it's possibly sticky lubricant on the wheels. It happened to mine. I disassembled the speedo, cleaned the odo up and that fixed that. You can fox the fibre optic needle illumination at the same time as you have to pull the needle off the soeedo shaft when you pull the head apart (so you can remove the face plate).

Been there, done that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts