RangeRovers.net Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Hi. AtlanticBritish.com
They have whole kit with oils and new plugs. You have to verify if you have electronic rear diff or not - there are separate kits for that.
My previous 2009 RRS SC had electronic diff and current 2013 has non-electronic.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Ok, so I replaced fluids in differentials and transfer case. Had to remove under engine armor and one bolt ceased - had to cut it off with disk grinder, that was longest and most labor intencive part... Did rust converter+rubberized coating spray of the frame, cavity wax sprayed all... well...cavities, coated armor plates as well. Thats Monday.
Today (Tuesday) I replaced rear drive (propeller) shaft and found U-Joint on the rear side binding up badly plus front part had some play and was clunking as I was trying to rotate it back and forth, also, support bearing rubber enclosure was so soft, not thorn, still in tact, but feels sort of foamy, easy to squish. Did a test drive and felt tiny vibration around 90 - may be rear left brake disk wobbling from being overheated by PB shoes, but nothin, nothing like it was before.
I will order new brake rotor and probably replace front driveshaft as well - since I have it and I would not expect it to be much better then rear one as they both lived same 92k miles...
I looked up my service records and last time fluids were replaced in 2018 @70k miles. I am probably expecting too much of perfection, but does not look like JLR dealer replaced fill/drain plugs and while disconnecting/removing drive shafts last October, in order to replace transmission, they did not use new bolts to attach driveshfts back while service procedure, most likely, says the must.
I will drive it for a while and report if original vibration issue has come back or I can selebrate victory here.
Will drive to Brooklyn, NY to get Injectors, Spark Plugs and ignition coils replaced so that will be 100+ miles of mostly highway.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Eqz212, nothing special about them really, new ones just have somekind of threadlock/sealant applied on to thread and do not have corrosion on them.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Mylife1903, wasnt planning to. I have new engine and tranny in it plus many many other things replaced. I guess I can state that I maintained it well.
Besides, sell it and what? I, now, have 2 more cars in the family to maintain and mortgage and child going to college in 3 years so getting another used Rover - whats the point? And new one just a lot of money that may affect other important things in my life. So definatelly will keep it for a while.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
611 Posts
Mylife1903, wasnt planning to. I have new engine and tranny in it plus many many other things replaced. I guess I can state that I maintained it well.
Besides, sell it and what? I, now, have 2 more cars in the family to maintain and mortgage and child going to college in 3 years so getting another used Rover - whats the point? And new one just a lot of money that may affect other important things in my life. So definatelly will keep it for a while.
Yeah, the most important thing is owning a EBS. Emergency Backup Subaru, unkillable jap eco box.
The new body of rrs and rr also looks like a kia or hyundai I don’t like them.

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover Sport 2016 Mercedes S550 4MATIC
123 Posts
Eqz212, nothing special about them really, new ones just have somekind of threadlock/sealant applied on to thread and do not have corrosion on them.
Is it possible it is the most expensive screw on the car? I typed in Google search for "Differential Drain plug prices" and saw typical drain plugs cost 3 to 8 bucks, including BMW and Mercedes. Searched "Differential Drain plug prices for Ferrari" and see one listed for $19.80. So far this drain plug is the most expensive one, and we have two on the car :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 L322 SC
21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover Sport 2016 Mercedes S550 4MATIC
123 Posts
It just doesn't make economic sense 1) why does Land Rover use such a non-essential outrageously expensive plugs, while others can accomplish the task at one-tenth to one-fifth of its cost. It only jacks up production costs. 2) Of course, LR could be acquiring them at a very low cost. Then, how much does it cost to make such a plug? 25 cents? It seems it's a good biz opportunity to make 25 bucks for each. But I haven't found any non-OEM ones. Does anyone see them?

It's weird... :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Eqz212, not to disagree with you but given that diffs/transfer oil service life is like 50k miles or even more, I'd out LR makes a fortune on those :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Guys, had my injectors+spark plugs+ignition coils replaced. LR tech did not need to remove supercharger. Took about 3-4 hours.
Here how they look at 93k miles, pretty cooked up...
Significant difference in how engine works, sounds and responds to throttle.
Original coils were Bosch, I think someone suggested that Delphi is OE Suppier, evidently not.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Yes, it did. There is some vibration left but I have changed that brake rotor that was overheated due to parking brake shoes issue. Main issue is resolved, I mean, clearly, main issue was rear driveshaft, there was binding up U-Joint and thorn mid-support bearing's rubber boot. Thats 100% recipie for vibration.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts