RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, thanks for reading my post.
So here is the issue. In the morning I start driving, about 2-3 miles street then I hit the highway. Normally whole traffic goes 80 mph or so. Once I climb over 70mph RR starts to vibrate, feels like asphalt is sloted, has perpendicular grooves in it, feels everywhere, floor, steering wheel, pedals... I thought it could be my winter wheels, they are not worn, just 5-6 yo, rubber looks dried with microcracks so I thought they could be out of round but after I had changed to summer wheels, 1 yo, less then 10k on them, issue remains.
Within last 10k or so:
All new brakes (Genuine rotors, EBC Green Stuff pads)
New front airstruts
New LCA all 4
New Sway Bar Bushings
New outer tie rods.
Front bearings were replaced may be 20k ago.
I talked about it with my SA at LR dealer, he says that tires may be developing flat spots from standing overnight and as I start driving, tires warm up and go back to round - logical to assume, since issue goes away after 10-15-20 min driving. But then I thought, it can't be ussue unique to my truck only. Audi Q5 and TT in the family, dont do that, but they also dont weight 2.8 ton... Anyone else has similar issue? May be it is Continental tires I am using? Transmission/motor mounts? - but then vibration would be permanent and probably less high speed dependant.
I have already ordered but did not install yet front and rear driveshafts but I dont really want to just throw in everything that rotates blindly so would like to ask what do you guys think?
Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I should've.
Before I changed to summer wheels, I took them to rim repair shop and had them analylized for roundness and rebalanced. One was somewhat out of round so I had TireRack replace it.
So yes wheels are balanced in ultimate way. Besides - balance issue is something that would not go away after 15-20 min of driving. I was asking earlier if RR goes lower at certain speed, suspecting that if it does then things like cv joints and drive shafts would be affected as they all would have to go deeper in slip joints as shorter lenght would be needed if vehichle goes lower. And there is an issue - corrosion, dirt etc that could be an issue.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
365 Posts
Would it be possible for you to swap wheels with a friend's car and see if that makes a difference?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would it be possible for you to swap wheels with a friend's car and see if that makes a difference?
Sir, I just swapped from winter set of wheels to summer set, would it, generally have same effect as "swap a set of wheels with a friend"? In my vision, odds of 2 sets of wheels having same issue is very low.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sir, I just swapped from winter set of wheels to summer set, would it, generally have same effect as "swap a set of wheels with a friend"? In my vision, odds of 2 sets of wheels having same issue is very low.
Ah, I missed that part.

Then yes, the likelihood that it's the tyres/wheels is very low, something else is at play here.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
410 Posts
Seems like you changed almost everything .... what about play in upper control arm bushings ? What tire pressure are you running ? Try taking it up 2 psi.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can certainly check that. Not to argue but after 15-20 min of driving vibration goes away, would alignment issue behave like that?

·
Registered
2009 L322 SC
21 Posts
My first thought was that I've had similar symptoms due to bad ball joints, but that wouldn't go away after 20 min. That leads me to think it is something in the driveline that vi rates until it heats up and expands. Differentials, and transfer case fluids would be my first look. Have those been changed and can you verify that the correct fluids were added if they were?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can certainly check that. Not to argue but after 15-20 min of driving vibration goes away, would alignment issue behave like that?
Possible... I had the same problem not with my RRS but with my import. Was off allignment and with bad sway bar rubber bushing.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My first thought was that I've had similar symptoms due to bad ball joints, but that wouldn't go away after 20 min. That leads me to think it is something in the driveline that vi rates until it heats up and expands. Differentials, and transfer case fluids would be my first look. Have those been changed and can you verify that the correct fluids were added if they were?
I think you're spot on there, if the vibration goes away, then it's heat-related.

I would guess it's the transfer box, otherwise he would have picked up rear vibrations only and it seems it's the whole vehicle from his description

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys, thank you for your ideas.
I did asked LR dealer to change fluids in both diffs and transfer case last spring/about 10k miles ago. I had also asked them to replace filter in ACE system. I was suspicios about that filter because box where filter resides is aluminum and has some oxydation and requires quite large socket to undo. I do not see bite marks there and several mechanics agreed with me - it does not look like that filter cap was ever undone. Regardless of anything - I will order all fluids and filter and replace them. Anyone can tell me if my RRS has electronic diffs or regular ones? . I remember trying to order fluids from AB but stopped due to various offers (i.e. Electronic / non electronic).

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can pull your build sheet using Topix. Just register and put your VIN in.
It says:
Rear axle open diff.
All I could find related. Can you transelate it to "average Joe language"? Means non-electronic?

·
Registered
365 Posts
It says:
Rear axle open diff.
All I could find related. Can you transelate it? Means non-electronic?

yep, you don't have the e-diff.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. I have ordered diffs+transfer case maintenance kit from AB and ACE filter from LRDirect.
Lets see who delivers faster.
I will prep clear bottles to collect fluids out of each unit and take a video, will try to eyeball it how old/dirty everything is.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,459 Posts
Check your tire pressure when cold...make sure they are not too low. Run at least 38/42 if you are running stock sizes or 40 all the way around to keep it simple. If you're running very low when cold, after a bit of driving, temperature heats up and pressure in the tires increases (PV = nRT)...

·
Registered
L494 V8 SC Dynamic
225 Posts
Replace your rear driveshaft. Mine had a bad vibration at hwy speeds as well & felt it in whole vehicle. the rear driveshaft ended up being the cause due to worn u-joints.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Check your tire pressure when cold...make sure they are not too low. Run at least 38/42 if you are running stock sizes or 40 all the way around to keep it simple. If you're running very low when cold, after a bit of driving, temperature heats up and pressure in the tires increases (PV = nRT)...
Checked. Pumped +1 PSI over spec, no difference :(
Replace your rear driveshaft. Mine had a bad vibration at hwy speeds as well & felt it in whole vehicle. the rear driveshaft ended up being the cause due to worn u-joints.
Yeah, it was my #1 suspect. I have both new driveshafts on hand with new bolts and other hardware.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts