Range Rovers Forum banner

Odd noise from rear of vehicle.

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  linuxfreakus 
#1 ·
Whenever my RR is running, I hear a strange sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. I know it is not the compressor because I lowered/raised the suspension in order to trigger it and the compressor makes a distinctly different sound which sounds like an air compressor (surprise surprise).... the odd sound keeps going all the time. It sounds almost like a servo motor running or something, I just can't think what it would be, and I never really noticed if it has always done it or not, I only noticed because I was inspecting the condition of various suspension components. Now that I've noticed it, I hear it all the time and it drives me crazy that I don't know what it is.

Any ideas?

#3 ·
Dan_UK_1984 said:
Fuel pump? What's your mileage?
52k miles. That could make sense since the tank would be back there as well. Should I normally be able to hear the fuel pump (easily if I listen outside near the rear wheels on either side)? I might note that it hasn't been warmer than about 15F each time I've driven recently, and this morning it was about -1F, I don't know if that would cause a louder noise if the fuel was really cold?

#5 ·
A quick update.... that was quick thinking, I don't know why I never thought of it being the fuel pump... on a whim, I checked the filter, and it was badly clogged... everything is nice and quiet now! Hopefully the pump wasn't damaged, if it was making so much noise before, then it must have been working pretty hard.

I'm thinking the near future might be a good time to change the transmission filter and other things which are supposed to last a long time but have a way of NOT lasting... perhaps I can avoid some major failures.

Thanks for the tip!

#6 ·
I have to admit to never changing the fuel filter on mine, and having been to the moon and back I imagine it is severely overdue, although I've noticed no problems yet....

What sort of job is it to do? What's the access like? Do you need to depressurize the system or anything?

Dan

#7 ·
Dan_UK_1984 said:
I have to admit to never changing the fuel filter on mine, and having been to the moon and back I imagine it is severely overdue, although I've noticed no problems yet....

What sort of job is it to do? What's the access like? Do you need to depressurize the system or anything?

Dan
It was actually pretty painless... you do need to release the pressure, there is a special purpose tool, other than that it isn't bad, just be careful to catch the fuel, some will come out inevitably. There is a little access door for the filter on the side of the tank. Took me about 3 hours, but I was being extra cautious/paranoid/quadruple checking, and it was WICKED cold outside (if I had waited until today it would have been pretty warm, but oh well). Paid $70 for the genuine part... probably could have tried to save a few $$ and order something off the internet but why take chances...

I love the RAVE, I would have never attempted anything like this before with my other vehicles, but I never had such a nice reference manual.

#8 ·
what is the "special tool" you are referring? im taking a road trip end of february and wanted to change out the fuel filter since its never been done before (currently 93K) can this be picked up anywhere or is it a LR specific... no i havent checked RAVE yet

#9 ·
There is a special LR tool (part number mentioned in RAVE) but any generic fuel line pressure tester with a schrader connector and bleeder should work (I used a generic one). I don't know what makes the LR one special.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.